David Childs leaving Cory

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by budstellabecks, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Where's he off to then ???

In this weeks Bandsman apparently.
  2. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

He's off to his next recital/teaching position/recording/masterclass/nappy-changing..
    The guy may be superman but he isn't superman.. if you know what I mean :S
  3. BikeBadger

BikeBadger Member

Cory won't have any trouble replacing him. They pay enough - hypothetically.
  4. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

Big loss for cory band obviously! Big loss for Beaumaris too no doubt
  5. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

Will that see Cory Slide down the rankings? How vital is the MD?
  6. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

David is their Euphonium player. Robert Childs is MD, think you might be confused.
  7. BikeBadger

BikeBadger Member

Ha! No doubt! :D
  8. Hell of a shout!
  9. BikeBadger

BikeBadger Member

Word on the street is he's turned them down. How high will they have to go to catch this fish?
  10. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

heard that too, and that someone else will be sitting in for rehearsals and concerts, not heard about who will do contests.
  11. cockaigne

cockaigne Member

The official line given in the 4barsrest news article on this was that he hasn't been able to balance his professional life with his commitment to Cory - so presumably that means teaching, masterclasses and recitals etc. - and the travelling time involved.

Cory have a ready-made supply of potential players from the Royal Welsh College of Music & Drama, from which Dr Bob can hand-pick the cream of the crop as required. So getting someone to sit on the chair won't be difficult - but getting someone to fill those shoes might be...
  12. BikeBadger

BikeBadger Member

I've a feeling he's gonna have to cast his net further afield - he's overfished local waters lately.
  13. toby hobson

toby hobson Member

Why, do the best young players go to the welsh college now? It was the RNCM London and Salford when I was younger. Thats where the cream of the crop went.

How secure is the money at Cory? Surely these are fairly bleak times for lets face it luxurys like giving a brass band a load of cash, who's to say the euph and M.D arnt looking else where. Im not ITK in the slightest by the way, just thinking about it. It always strikes me as a bit strange when a Euph player leaves a Brass Band because of solo commitments, surely there cant be THAT great a living to be had on the solo scene for Euph, no matter how good/conected you are.
  14. BikeBadger

BikeBadger Member

I think you'll find that things haven't changed much since you were younger.
    Also, there seems to be a growing perception amongst the youngsters that a bad experience with a "big beast" can adversely affect one's studies.
    They're beginning to think twice.