David Childs back with a band...

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Adamskied, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Adamskied

Adamskied Member

Good to hear that David childs is back playing.

Solo euph with Flowers Band.

Should be winning a few solo prizes again soon lol

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    David Childs
    Flowers Band
    lol
    solo prizes
    euph
  3. Phil Green

Phil Green Supporting Member

Wow, great signing for the band. I wonder if the Flowers to Cory path might start to get reversed now.

4. BikeBadger

BikeBadger Member

Do they have a bulging wallet?

5. Adamskied

Adamskied Member

from what I have heard yes, a rather large one

6. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

I wish

7. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

Didn't you know? Nobody gets paid to play anymore. Everyone is doing it out of sheer love.....

8. simonium

simonium Member

Phew! That's a relief. I thought for a moment the worldwide demand for professional euphonium soloists had dried up and left the poor man without food on his table.

9. JimboFB

JimboFB Active Member

Whoever is in poession of the bulging wallet - send me that money then!!!

10. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Member

I suppose it's probably a certain caliber of player that would cause said wallet to open and if your not at that level and were happy to go to band twice a week for the love of it then it would not make sense to 'send you that money'. Good luck to DC - paid or not Flowers have just raised the bar in their Euph section to the highest level.

11. jezza23361

jezza23361 Member

Flowers 'euph bar' has been at a very high level for many years with Andy Hicks - one of the finest players anywhere.

Jeremy

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    David Childs
    Flowers Band
    lol
    solo prizes
    euph
  13. JimboFB

JimboFB Active Member

Cheeky barsteward.

I'm certainly not the worlds bext euphonium player and even if i was there would be nothing wrong with getting a bit of travelling money.

By the way that means we might pay some petrol and the severn bridge toll - not (despite some rumours) that we're buying him a brand new BMW or paying for alan sugar esque helicopter transportation.

14. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

if the player and the band are happy with the arrangement who cares?

mmmm, jealousy is a nasty word but............

15. Tubawolves

Tubawolves Member

I believe this thread is tongue in cheek fun - there is far too much needle between bands and bandsmen so I have viewed this thread in the spirit I believe is intended. It has brought a wry smile to my face when reading the comments.

I first met David when he helped the band out at Yeovil. He is as everyone knows a fabulous player but what impressed me most of all is the way he conducts himself. He is a thoroughly decent feet on the floor man who approaches his playing with consummate professionalism. He is a thoroughly likable guy with no hint of self importance who will bring his own individual style to the band. As Jeremy stated we have been very fortunate to have an outstanding player in Andrew Hicks who has played beautifully and flawlessly on the top Euph seat for many years (ask top adjudicators who have often praised his playing in some of the biggest arena's).
    To my knowledge no huge retainer has been agreed and Dave is coming to Flowers to fill the seat vacated by Andy. It might surprise people to know there are still genuine bandsmen/women out there who are motivated by more than just the queens head in their pockets. However, even if he was paid (which I am assured is not the case) then how does that make him (or Flowers) any different to the retainers paid by top bands around the country. I think it's great we have a player the calibre of Dave back in a band on a full time basis and whilst I am sad to see Andy go we are hugely fortunate to have Dave as his replacement.:clap:

16. simonium

simonium Member

Which, as a professional musician, you might expect.

17. no2taz

no2taz Member

This is so funny...

Andy Hicks has been a fantastic Principal Euphonium and it has been a privilege to sit opposite him for the last few years. His character and quality of musicianship will be missed. Is it any wonder that in order to replace him the seat is to be occupied by arguably one of the finest Euphonium players around !!!

I am exited at the prospect of what could happen over the coming months within Flowers and look forward to hearing what the rumour mill has to say next ...

18. no2taz

no2taz Member

here here

19. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Member

Never heard of him, but I'm sure from what folk on here have said he's very nice and a super player. David Childs is rather special though, and I'm sure he'll manage to live up to the high standards of his predecessor. As far as money goes I'm all for it. The 'money' bands of the past all seem to have produced some quite fantastic performances and I thought it was quite exciting that Flowers may have had a windfall and that DC could be the first of many tip-top signings. It's almost as exciting though to learn that a player of his calibre is prepared to sign for nothing more than a bit of petrol money and the odd bag of chips. Lets hope he can persuade a few of his old Cory mates to leap across to Flowers and help them become the next Sunlife.

20. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

where where ?

21. no2taz

no2taz Member

there there ?

22. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member