Darley Dale sign new right hand man!!!

Discussion in 'Recruitment Corner' started by Shaggy, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy New Member

Darley Dale Band would like to extend a very warm welcome to Roland Spencer who has taken up the baton at South Darley Village Hall. Roland hails originally from South London where he was Sutton Salvation Army Band supremo for over a decade, he can also boast successful tours of duty with Epson & Ewell Silver and with a hat full of youth bands and school bands across the country.

Work commitments have brought Roland to Derbyshire, and he has wasted no time in getting out and about looking for a band worthy of his talents. "I have been working with a number of local bands with a view to finding a conducting post" says Roland, "I very much like what I have seen and heard at Darley Dale and I can see a bright future ahead for the Band. The main task now is to get new blood in to the band, we have a number of chairs waiting to be filled and I will be working hard to bring in new players over the next few months"

So there you have it! a new start for Darley with an experienced hand at the tiller, how do you fancy coming aboard?

2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I played in the South London Youth Band with Roland, and remember him as a very fine cornet player indeed. Good to see he's still involved with bands, and hope the new move proves a success for all involved ;)

3. Shaggy

Shaggy New Member

Thanks Peter, Roland is doing a fine job! we are all very pleased to have him.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy New Member

He made the band play hymns backwards last night!......shear genious! a man with a sense of humour. Whats it called in twelve tone music? "retrograde" I think.Reminds me of one of my fav big band arrangements by Barry Forgie which is "Sweet Georgia Brown" played backwards.

5. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Hehe, that's always a good one. When a band moans at having to play hymns, and say they know them like the back of their hand, another good one that I have used often is to ask the band to play a huymn a semi-tone up or down from what's written.

OK, for those with perfect pitch and who could play it in any key, thi swould be a doddle, but for the average player this isn't the case and yields some interesting results.

You should try it!