Daphnis & Cloe

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by animal.22, Sep 30, 2012.

1. animal.22

animal.22 Member

Spot of roumoure(sp) mongering here but I have heard that this test piece was arranged with ONLY the top six bands in mind and the rest of us are of no real consequence!! Anyone else heard this?
  2. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Interesting theory, but I have a few questions.

Who are the top six bands?
    From last year? 4br Rankings? Paddy's Rankings?
    Why is it being entertained that the other 14 bands in the final are of no consequence?
    Especially if some of the more fancied bands have a mare and finish outsidde the top six. (Happens)
    Would it not be fitting to have a piece that is hard as **** for the National Final in the top section?
    If the piece is deemed to easy, then it allegedly makes a lottery out of the placings.
    if the piece is too hard, then it must be conspiracy theory - (Not sure if the conspiracy is to start, or hinder, Briggus on their quest for a hatrick!)

Seems like a rumour without basis, but what do I know?
  3. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

Not sure I'm quite understanding why that'd be a rumour. Yes the piece is pretty rock hard, but there's some players who have hardly anything to do throughout.
  4. Sandy Smith

Sandy Smith Member

Howard must have the prophetic skills of Nostradamus to second guess this years "top six" bands when he produced this masterly arrangement in the mid 1980's.
  5. animal.22

animal.22 Member

Woah there people,don't shoot me for repeating an interesting rumour. a woz onli askin :cool:
  6. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Ask yourself who is saying this stuff and whether it has any foundation. As Sandy has eluded to, this arrangement was written over 20 years ago for a band's attempt at the European Championships and besides, how would you go about arranging something specifically for the top six bands and why?? Further to that, it's a matter of opinion who they top six bands are anyway! There's also several examples of a piece being written for a band then being used as a set test with them in the competition, then that band has not won. It's all nonsense and before repeating it (especially on a forum) my advice would be to think about whether it makes any sense and who it came from.
  7. Bob Sherunkle

Bob Sherunkle Member

I suppose that once we know who the top six bands are on the day (ie after the results), this statement may have an element of truth to it.

Until then it doesn't seem to make any sense really.
  8. animal.22

animal.22 Member

Very eloquent,all of you.It's nice to see that the general core value on this forum is a "No nonsence" approach. :clap:
  9. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

you couldn't have figured that out without peddling a daft rumour? :rolleyes:
  10. animal.22

animal.22 Member

OUCH, just bitten my tongue :rolleyes:
  11. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Member

This thing about it being for the top 6 bands is probably meant as a comment on how tricky it is and only the very best bands will have the ability to give convincing performances.The weaker bands in the Finals will probably really struggle due to the uneven quality of the areas. If it was used at the open then perhaps you could expect 10-15 bands to be really good, but the RAH is a more mixed bag.
  12. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

We'll be expecting great performances from Sun Life and William Davis then! :D
  13. ringa

ringa Member

not the horns............ Bah!:(
  14. BassBlaster

BassBlaster Member

I wish Sun Life and William Davis were there, sigh. Must be getting old. as for the subject, DUH.
  15. animal.22

animal.22 Member

In all honesty, not one of you has actually answered the original question! :rolleyes:
  16. matti_raz

matti_raz Member

Because, in all honesty... It's a bit of a non question... It's theeee National Finals, play the piece or don't... They all played DatDBS!
  17. markh

markh Member

The original question was "has everyone else heard some stupid rumour". I can't answer the question on behalf of everyone else but I haven't heard it personally. I think the rumour needs clarifying. Was it Snell or Ravel that had the top 6 bands in mind? Were they in mind as a massed band or seperately? Was it the top 6 when it was written or now? Top 6 alphabetically? I appreciate that sometimes, when under commission, composers bear in mind strengths of specific players, but this music was written probably 100 years ago with a wealth of musical timbre available to him so it is quite unlikley that he thought "I'll write the 2nd Century Nymph motif with Brett Baker in mind"!
  18. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Anyone else heard this?

No - and even if I had I wouldn't give it second thought because it would be utter utter nonsense.
  19. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

Tell me about it!
  20. animal.22

animal.22 Member

The original question was "Anyone else heard this" to which the only answers possible are "Yes" or "No". No further comment was asked for.

Also, nobody was asked to answer for anybody else!! :)
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2012