Dangerous dogs, what would you do??

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Bryan_sop, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

Following the really sad story of the poor little girl in the news that was killed by a Pit Bull Terrier, there's a bit on the BBC website about what to do if you think you're going to be attacked by a dog:

Key Tips
    • No Sudden movements
    • Put hands in pockets
    • Avoid Eye contact
    • Children can accidentally provoke a dog
    • Never try to break up two fighting dogs
    I have to say, how many people would put their hands in their pockets if there was a dog snarling at them and they thought they were going to be attacked!?

I was attacked by an Alsation when I was about 8 and I did what anyone would naturally do and put my arm up to protect myself. If I hadn't, at best, I'd have been an even uglier mug than I am already!

The dog went for my face/throat. If it wasn't for the fact that it was cold and I was wearing a couple of layers, the damage to my arm would have been far worse, I got away with just 4 stitches and I've still got the scar now! I was also very lucky in that the dog that attacked me was being brought back from being assessed to be a police dog, so I had 2 policemen to drag the dog off of me! Needles to say, the dog was put down!

How would you react if a dog attacked you, or you thought it was going to?
  2. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

Haha, dogs like your shoes Bryan.... I have evidece of that! I was almost attacked by a small dog in Spain about 13 years ago, and to this day I'm scared of small dogs jumping up at me and barking... am getting much better now though!
  3. HorniKaz

HorniKaz Supporting Member

This is one of those situations where its hard to know how you would react unless it unfortunately happened to you. Being the ex-owner of a dog who didn't really like other dogs & people he didn't know, I'd suggest that the last thing people should do would be to run away screaming! You hear stories of people lying down & pretending they are dead when confronted by bears. I wonder if this would work with dogs??
  4. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Nah! Somehow I can't see a dog lying down pretending to be dead.

5. needmorevodka

needmorevodka Member

It's certainly a tricky one. But I'm pretty sure that sticking my hands in my pockets wouldn't be the first thing on my mind either!
  6. HorniKaz

HorniKaz Supporting Member

Typical Mr Thorne!!!

Happy New Year btw Mr choc chip dude!! :tongue:

Surely, getting back on topic, the dangerous dogs act needs looking at. How many more attacks need to take place?
  7. If i was attacked by a dog, i probably wouldn't put my hands in my pocket! i am a dog owner though, and get very irritated by dog owners who have their dogs off leads, when they cannot recall them immediately. my dog was attacked when he was young by a terrier, and is also rescued. we intervened and were lucky that no-one was injured trying to stop the animal. since then whenever another dog approaches him he is immediately on the defencive. people call their dogs back to them, the dog takes one look at their owner and does exactly what it wants. this is why the majority of dog attacks happen on the street. im not saying it is all the owners fault, merely that people who cannot completely control their animal, should keep them on leads! this would avoid a lot of accidents with both dogs and humans.
  8. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

I am. There are far too many irresponsible dog owners in this country, for whom their dog is some sort of toy, or trophy. Dogs are pack animals, a well-trained dog accepts its owner as the leader of the pack and doesn't act aggressively while they are around. Dogs that aren't well trained, or who don't know where their owner is, can't be trusted no matter how well you think you know them. My parents-in-law have a West Highland Terrier who is absolutely great with kids, lovely dog, genuinely mild mannered, likes playing, etc., etc. - I'm still not leaving my 2 alone with him.

Incidentally, if you're attacked by a dog, go for the testicles if they're available, or the eyes.
  9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

This practice is quoted on many sites ...

10. annieds

annieds Member

I love dogs. There have been three in my life that have really added to its quality, and I understand the feelings of REAL dog lovers BUT no dog is more important than humans and there are some dogs that should not exist. Pit-bulls and mastiffs and that sort of animal are no more at home in human habitations than any wild animal. They are naturally aggressive, and everyone knows that. They are kept for that reason. I must admit, I don't know the precise circumstances of the horrific attack, but I cannot understand why a pit-bull, or pit-bull-type dog was kept without a muzzle at the very least. I a really not a 'string-em-up' type, but I hope the owner of this animal is punished severely.

11. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I'm surprised they don't have "don't smile" as one of the things not to do. Showing teeth can really wind up an aggresive dog.

My my has been a dog trainer/behaviourist her entire life and I find this truly disturbing as I do believe that almost all dogs are really good at heart (unless they've been abused as puppies and trained to be mean, which I think is the only real cause for attacks such as these)
  12. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

I've had some experience of dealing with dogs that attack . Shooting always worked best. How ever, if no gun available, I was taught to offer the dog your weak sided arm. As soon as the dog grips it, place your strong arm under the bottom jaw, forward of the weak arm. Press down hard with the weak arm, at the same time smash the strong arm upwards. Breaking the dogs jaw. Whether that would work on a Pitbull, I have some doubts, as their jaws seems to be able to lock in the bite postion.
  13. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

14. Hornblower RN

Hornblower RN Member

He should be charged with manslaughter at least considering that he has had a couple of warnings!:mad: :clap:
  15. IckleSop

IckleSop Active Member

i was attacked when i was little, Bo bo the bulldog had a fettish about handbags and i went round went to get my friends bag and it flew for me tearing at my hand, although the owner had control and i only came out with a scratch or two what if they hadnt have been there?!?! keep dogs under control!!!!
  16. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

I must agree. Any dog breed which was initially engineered for fighting or baiting should not be allowed to exist. That includes any type of bull dog, bull terrier or large mastiff.
    I am so angry with owners of dogs like Staffies who say 'oh they are wonderful pets you should see them with my children - wouldn't harm a fly' etc. And I bet the owners of that pit bull said the same thing when they received complaints.
    I have seen well behaved bull terriers and nasty viscious Jack Russels but there is one big difference - the Jack Russel may draw blood but it isn't going to kill you with its bite.
    I have seen these dogs in action and its absolutely chilling. I was walking my dog and there was a bull terrier about 200 yards aways. There was no provocation - It saw my dog and made a bee line for it, totally focused. There was no growling or barking and at first I thought it was going to play. It grabbed my dog in the belly area and just lay there clamped on. Luckily my dog was so shocked it just lay there whimpering and didn't try to fight back. I tried to pull it off with its choke chain but it was not going to give up.
    The owner came and tried everything he could to release the dogs grip including twisting its testicles, biting its ear and even sticking his fingers up its backside and squeezing hard.
    I had my knee on the back of the brutes head and pulled with the choke chain as hard as I could (I actually damaged a nerve and still havent got full feeling in one of my fingers). After what seemed like an eternity but was probably 4 or 5 minutes the choking and the owner sitting on the dogs chest had an effect and the dog seemed to momentarily pass out and release its grip which was my cue to scarper leaving the owner to laying on top of the dog.
    Luckily my dog has a very shaggy coat and loose skin and it was not bitten in any vital organs and got away with just severe bruising and minor abrasions.
    The pain threshold of these dogs is awesome they were bred to fight bears and bulls and won't give up no matter what. They are just too dangereous to be around other dogs and humans.
    The dangerous dogs act must be re-visited and toughened up. It should be broadened in its scope to include any broad-headed, large jawed dog of fighting descent. Banning an individual breed is not good enough - there are too many loop holes that allow cross breeds to exist.
  17. I love dogs, and am not scared in the slightest. I have been attacked by a alsation who was a trained gaurd dog which belonged to a friend of my dads. Usually a lovely dog, but without any warning, just turned. luckily my high pitched scream scared it away!!

Now i'm not saying some of the softest dogs can't turn, because they can, but in alot of cases, it's how the dog is treated that effects how it acts, so may be it should be people known to have owned dogs who are viscious to be banned from owning dogs.

I have a dog, and when out walking him with my little sister a dog came up to us, who has a reputation of being violent with other dogs and people. My dog being the way he is went up with all intentions of playing and wagging his tail. the other dog (which was some sort of bull mastif cross i think) just went for my little dog, and nearly ripped him to shreads, he was that bad, the skin from his neck was ripped away from the muscle of his neck, he was covered in blood and i was stood there screaming (incidently, my little sister was totally calm and held the situation together). but the owner just stood there and only actually did somehting when i threatened to get my dog out myself and all it took was a stern word from him to get the dog off.
    Now this dog had a reputation, they actually used him to intimidate people who came to the door so he was trained to be like that, so is that the dog or the owner?
  18. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

But it doesn't matter if its the dog or the owner when it comes down to it. Your dog and mine were attacked and that is a situation that shouldn't happen. If that irresponsible person could not get to own such an animal in the first place then it wouldn't have happened (or if it had happened with another dog the damage would have been minor or non existent.)
    You can't legislate for peoples stupidity and irresponsibility but can pass a law that prevents them owning such a tool of aggression.
  19. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Reading the instructions above, I would guess that they are suggesting things to do if there is an aggressive dog near you, as opposed to what to do if one actually attacks you. The reason I say that is what good is avoiding eye contact with a dog going to do if it's in the middle of giving you a good hiding?!
  20. needmorevodka

needmorevodka Member

Yes, that's a good point John. The only times I've been bitten by dogs (not too badly, thankfully) there wasn't any advance warning, just a sudden snap. One of those was when I was about 4 years old and it was the headmistress's Dachshund! Why on earth she was ever allowed to take the dog into school and let it wander round the corridors biting kids it beyond me!! But that's another story.

You're right, if you get enough clues that a dog may be aggressive then I'm sure the advice is good.