Dances & Arias - Interpretation

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by brassneck, Nov 27, 2004.

1. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Now that another big contest is near, I'm wondering how conductors will interpret Prof. Gregson's Dances And Arias considering that adjudicators are being more considerate towards the underlying composer's intentions as well as performance? Edward Gregson is known for his strictness towards score markings and I wonder if this will be the case at the Scottish Open?
  2. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Well, the Scottish Open is happening as we speak, or, type, should I say.....

See 4BarsRest for "LIVE coverage".... ;)
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Heheheh! Yesterday I was hoping that tMPers might have put into words what they think the adjudicators may decide what factors are important for giving a classic interpretation of the work. In the present climate I would expect more caution reading this piece. Dances & Arias used to be an exhibition for loud and fast playing. Just wondering if conductors have been listening to Desford's recording where Edward Gregson is conducting?

p.s., I really didn't expect any of the competitors to reply to my original post ... for obvious reasons!
  4. Naomi McFadyen

:dunno Well, yea... bit of a hard question to answer really.

What we THINK the adjudicators "may decide" to listen out for may not be any LIKE what the adjudicators are listening out for...

Only the adjudicators can answer you're little question... they could be listening out for anything (and we'll soon find out when the results are read out ;) )... as with any contest and contest piece.... but hopefully a more musical and thought out performance will get the better of them....
    Anyhooo... may the best band win :) :cool:

or pigs continue to fly..... :pig

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... that's unfortunately what contesting seems like in many instances, but in the case of Gregson's works? He is very deliberate in how he writes music ... nothing is there by chance! I wouldn't be surprised if the winning performance is the one that sticks by the printed metronome markings. I wonder if the 4barsrest team there is equating that with 'control' (as in a couple of their comments up to the break)?

Hopefully everyone there is enjoying themselves and looking forward to the results!

p.s. I found a nice flying pigs GIF image that can be used as a avatar ;) (... I may use that one yet!)
  6. Naomi McFadyen

There's many composers who are deliberate in their music writing.... but I do know what you mean...

4BR's writeups have been interesting.... ;-)

love the avatar!! :lol: ;)
  7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... I hope that they get better crowds this year ... last year was a disaster! :-(
  8. Naomi McFadyen

Oh right.. Well I'm sure someone will give us the full details of the day tomorrow or later tonight :)

Let's just hope a similar disaster doesnt happen in Scotland as it did at Spennymoor! haha

9. Syrup

Syrup Member

I played with Hepworth yesterday, and there weren't many people in. Perhaps the hall is too big for the event at the moment, plus we played number 9 just after the break, so maybe people were still outside finishing off their break. It may also have been because they were saving themselves for the Scottish bands!

Didn't play last year so can't compare, but a bit disappointing not to have more people listening.
  10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Sorry to hear that and congrats. on winning by the way! What was the overall standard of playing like? (... or was it a case of prepare-perform-pub?).
  11. Syrup

Syrup Member

Didn't hear any other bands, and once played went to the pub for a couple of shandy's! So can't really comment on the overall standard. There weren't many people in the concert hall bar either, which is why quite a few bands went to the local pubs (Molly Malones and then Walkabout), which had a great atmosphere.