Dance on a Volcano

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Will the Sec, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Does anyone know if a recording of the Brass Band arrangement of the Genesis track "Dance on a Volcano" exists :?:

This really exists. I purchased a copy.
  2. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Maybe Fulham could record it for you :)
  3. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Yes, OK. I'll try and remember to bring the music with me! ;-) It looks lava..... sorry, rather difficult

No recording as far as I can trace.
  4. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

But oh my god, what a fantastic piece of music this is eh! Would love to hear a band version of this Genesis classic.

I might have done a few Steve Hackett songs a little while ago but I couldn't admit to actually doing any - well actually I did get permission from his promotion company to do "Walking Away From rainbows". Great song that.
  5. Will the Sec

Ideally, yes, but as Dave "I promise to bring it next week" Payn has pointed out, it is rather difficult.

1st Section, I would think.
  6. Will the Sec

I'm amazed permission was given. I've asked Tony Banks' publishers for permission to arrange things (Afterglow, Undertow, Burning Rope) but the answer has always been squarely no.

In contrast, Anthony Phillips (Steve Hacketts predecessor) and Mike Rutherford were quite happy for me to arrange Henry, Protrait of Tudor Times from Ant's Geese and the Ghost. I've done four movements; two to go; watch this space!
  7. TheMusicMan

Just wait to see who I have just interviewed as part of the new tMP Interview Online series. Announcement coming soon...:)
  8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I was asked a few years ago about this Genesis number and the possibility of a band arrangement. Who's name is given as the arranger if it's been published?
  9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... If it has anything to do with Genesis and brass bands, it can only lead to Peter Gabriel. Phil Collins might do the odd interview but I can't imagine Mike Rutherford, Tony Phillips or Steve Hackett having much to do with banding! Yer gettin' me thinkin' here .... :confused:
  10. TheMusicMan

I'm afraid you'll have to keep 'a guessing there Mr brassneck sir as I am just awaiting for positive feedback from the PR people and I will then be able to post the interview. If this takes a little longer than expected I might make an announcement as to who I managed to speak to today...:wink:

What a superb interview though and will certainly help in tMP's attempts to raise the profile of banding. Sorry to keep you in suspense...:biggrin:

PS: you have a name wrong in your Genesis line-up, it's not Tony Phillips, it's Tony Banks

PPS: There are some tell tale clues in the posts so far...;) Tell you what... if you guess correctly and can work out and explain how you guessed from the inadvertent clues already present here, you can get one of the collectable 'prizes' I will have obtained... how's that for fair play then :)
  11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Nah .... :cool: .... Tony Phillips played on 'Trespass' and the albums before! I just forgot to mention Tony Banks! (tsk! tsk!). Just realised as well that I have never, ever, bought a solo album by Tony Phillips! :eek: :eek:
  12. TheMusicMan

I see... then I offer my apologies sir... I had not heard of Tony Phillips. No guesses then?
  13. dyl

dyl Active Member

Can I guess? ;)
  14. TheMusicMan

Absolutely, unequivocally, most definitely...

not!!!! :)
  15. dyl

dyl Active Member

Ah well ........... I was never a fan of Dire Straits anyway.
  16. Di

Di Active Member

I know, i know, :biggrin::clap:

Its ... its

someone famous :rolleyes:
  17. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... artist made in the '70s? I mentioned Gabriel in an earlier post! A slip in the introductory thread announcing this suggests he was a member of a band. UK Supergroups then include Yes, Led Zeppelin, Camel, Brand X, Wishbone Ash, Gentle Giant, Deep Purple and many more! That you posted something on this thread may suggest (if it is post-Gabriel Genesis) Phil Collins (... he has been quiet in the media recently!). Apart from that, 70s folk like Peter Skellern come to mind :)frown: ).

post-edit ... Phil Collins has revamped his material with a big band before and Steve Hackett has been re-inventing classic Genesis numbers with other musicians so maybe (as in my dreams about Mike Oldfield doing a brass band version of 'Tubular Bells'), just maybe there is something in the air tonight! ;)
  18. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

John! You've been found out!! :p
  19. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Who else wants a lot of coverage & is high profile? Elton John? Wouldn't exactly place him in the 'Rock' category though! Ozzy Osbourne then? What about The Who? ... maybe Pete Townsend or Roger Daltrey? The late John Entwistle's Yamaha tuba was on sale on eBay recently, so maybe there is a link there! :confused:
  20. TheMusicMan

Hey brassneck you are very good and you give an exemplary analysis of the information presented here. You might be on to something...;)