Daily practise

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by ..JB.., Dec 21, 2008.

1. ..JB..

..JB.. New Member

Hi can anyone give me examples of good daily practise routines they use
    has any one used the claude gordon systematic approach to daily pratice if so have you had good results

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Hi
    daily pratice
    Daily practise Hi
    examples of good daily practise routines
    claude gordon systematic
  3. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

I use a book by Michael Davis called the 15 Minute Daily Warm Up. Sometimes I use his other book, the 20 Minute Daily Warm Up.
    Basically, it takes you through a series of good warm up activities, playing along with a CD - which helps you focus on intonation and making a good sound and makes it all a bit more interesting. There are long tones, scales, lots of lip flexibilities, work outs for your fingers etc.
    I also use Allen Vizzutti's books for technical exercises etc.

Michael Davis's books are at http://www.hip-bonemusic.com/

4. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

Quite good book the 20 minute warm if the illustrated examples are anything to go by Daisy Duck. I tried the tuba examples that they have on that site, really goog. Makes you want to practice! I notice, though, the prices in US dollars. I hope they do £ sterling!

5. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

I would suggest that you find a good pro teacher, have a lesson or two so they can then make recomendations on what you need to work on with regard to your own playing and establish your own daily practice routine.

With regard to Claude Gordon check out www.jeffpurtle.com he has spent many years studying with Claude and his website has mp3's of Claude giving lectures so you can really hear what he is trying to say in the books.

But firstly get a good teacher!!

6. emziesonic

emziesonic Member

Yep thats what i did! was at abit of a dead end on how to improve my playing so i contacted sheona white for a private lesson. she picked out things i had never thought were bad before and now shes my regular teacher :D

With the warming up i usually do about 15 mins warming up first with doing simple 3rds then intervals then flexibility and by the end of it im just about ready :biggrin:

7. TubaPete

TubaPete Member

The Claude Gordon looks great but is really aimed at pro players/conservertoire students.

If you do everything it says, you need to be able to practice several times a day for extended periods with long breaks in between.

Pete

8. ..JB..

..JB.. New Member

do you know people who have played through the book ?

9. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

JB Have you looked up/made contact with jeff Purtle www.purtle.com his site will answer all your questions on CG.

It works ....but requires total commitment on your part, and do it as it tells you on each lesson. have you read any of CG's other books such as brass playing is as easy as deep breathing?

Also you must approach the system with an open mind. He used a lot of what Louis Maggio taught him, as well as what he learnt studying with herbert L Clarke.

10. ..JB..

..JB.. New Member

im going to have look at the site cheers

11. hicks

hicks Member

What instrument do you play? For trombone I use the Eric Crees/Peter Gane book "How trombonists do it", which has great legato excercises. I also play a few Rochut etudes to warm up.
    But as mentioned, it really depends on what areas you need to work on to improve your playing.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Hi
    daily pratice
    Daily practise Hi
    examples of good daily practise routines
    claude gordon systematic
  13. ..JB..

..JB.. New Member

i play the euphonium

14. ..JB..

..JB.. New Member

i see you say what areas do you need to improve on.
    surely all areas of practice need to be addressed. To pin point areas would cause more problems rather than to evenly pratice all elements am i wrong?

15. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

That's my attitude towards practice ... realising one's limitations and working on them to strengthen your playing overall. Everybody's regimes will be different for warm-up and practice.

16. TubaPete

TubaPete Member

No - but when I was in college I knew a few students who started working through it...

As bass player, I find lessons 1 and 2 particularly good to build stamina and range and have used them quite a few times as part of my performance preparation. Last time I did an hour long solo recital I stopped practicing the pieces 4 weeks before the event (but still read through the music every day, listening to it in my head), did a week each on lessons 1 and 2 then the last 2 weeks back on the recital pieces. I was amazed how much better my lung capacity was and how much easier it was to control at extremes of pitch and dynamics.

As I said, time is the biggest factor - the Claude Gordon is full of instructions like "rest as much as you play" and "now rest at least one hour". It also requires playing as loud as you can at extremes of register so you need tolerant neighbours if you're practicing at home...

Pete

17. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

If your in Yorksire you would be hard pressed to find a better teacher and euph player than Morgan Griffiths. He is a great trainer and tutor. If you need his contact details just P.M. me. He is a quality geezer.