Cystic Fibrosis Fund Raiser

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by JessopSmythe, Sep 8, 2007.

1. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

Anyone who read John's (TheMusicMan) thread on fund raising for Cystic Fibrosis

may remember that I mentioned having the disease brought to my attention in a very personal way. At the time my baby daughter, Meghan, was suspected as having CF. We were, initially, given the "all clear" in June this year and breathed a huge sigh of relief. However, our local CF clinic are sensible enough not to rely on the results of one test and we've had loads of different tests done over the last couple of months. 10 days ago, Meghan was confirmed as having the disease and life has taken a new turn for all of us. CF is a progressive disease and we're right a the beginning of it. Even so, at the tender age of just 4 months (tomorrow) Meghan now has to take 4 different drugs and receive regular physiotherapy as she gets older and the disease progresses the prescription list will get longer and longer, possibly including oxygen cylinders and intravenous antibiotics.

Despite all of the above, I consider us very lucky to be where we are. Had Meghan been born outside Wales, the blood tests carried out at birth would not have been checked for CF in most health authorities in England and Scotland meaning that the disease is often not picked up until serious lung damage has already occurred. In Wales, we are lucky enough to get all prescriptions free meaning that, when she's older and taking 10-15 different pills we won't be landed with the huge bills that Cystics in the rest of the UK face.

Campaigning for, and part funding, proper tests across the whole of the UK is just one function of the Cystic Fibrosis Trust ( ) and is one of the reasons that I committed, back in June when we still thought we'd "escaped" to doing my bit.

Although CF is the most common inherited disease in the UK, there is still no government funded research into it's treatment or a possible cure. All funding for research, support and testing is provided through the CF trust, a charity wholly supported by voluntary donations.

Later on this year, I will be taking part in a Skydive to raise funds and awareness for the Cystic Fibrosis Trust and would ask all tMPers to dig deep and sponsor me. Either through the Just Giving website at or PM me for contact details.

Thankyou, in advance, on behalf of me, Meghan and the CF trust.
  2. JessopSmythe

Had all the confirmation stuff in todays post. The date for the dive is 18th November - The day after Treorchy.

(Mods - any chance of making this a sticky til then, please?)
  3. JessopSmythe

Just over 8 weeks to go and we're half way there (Partly thanks to a £100 donation from a complete stranger who found the website by accident!)

Anyone who doesn't like doing the credit card online thing, look out for me and my sponsor form at Burry Port next weekend!
  4. Hiya mate,

Can i just say, im so sorry to hear of the news! I really do hope the skydive goes well, all the members of Gwent Youth Brass Band wish you the very best and hope you and the charity make as much money as possible! You're doing a fantastic thing! Ill pass the link to the website on to others! Good luck! See you in burryport!
  5. JessopSmythe

Cheers Jamie,

If you like, I can email you a sponsor form to catch everyone at the Gwent with
  6. Im not sure when the next gwent thing is, but i know for definate i will see everyone at the Xmas course if youre doing anything else then?
  7. JessopSmythe

A month to go and very nearly at the (first) target. If anyone would like to help with the fundraising, PM me and I can email a sponsor form and a poster.

8. JessopSmythe

Unfortunately the jump was postponed because of bad weather :(

I've re-booked and will now be (hopefully) doing it on Friday 7th December.

That gives everyone a few more weeks fundraising time at least!
  9. JessopSmythe

Forgot to update this before Christmas.

The jump on 7th December was canceled due to bad weather and re booked for 21st December. On the 19th, I got a call to say that a large group had pulled out and that there weren't enough left to justify taking the plane up. So it's now re-booked for 17th February. Loads more time for fundraising do I've upped the target to £2000
  10. Alisop

Alisop Member

In case anyone is interested

Thursday, 24th January, 9pm
    C4 documentary which features a CF pupil organising and conducting his school’s performance of Bach’s Magnificat.
  11. Alisop

Alisop Member

Did anyone watch The cutting edge documentry 'A boy called Alex' last Night on C4? I found it very interesting and inspirational.
  12. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

I saw it and as totally enthralled and moved. It is amazing how music can give a focus to put up with such intense treatment and discomfort. Young Alex made me realise how much I complain about the least little ailment.
    I was convinced as the programme progressed that there would be a sad ending, but hopw great to hear he had been accepted to Cambridge etc. and was still battling on.
    Great programme and inspiring as you say.
  13. JessopSmythe

After 4 cancellations, the jump finally took place today :p

Oh My God, what a rush!!! I've done some pretty adrenaline fuelled stuff in the past but this was just unbelievable. I landed over two hours ago and I'm still buzzing! Guess what my charity event's going to be next year;)

A big thanks to all those who sponsored me. If you haven't paid yet, I'll be chasing you soon, if that doesn't work I'll set the mrs on you:)

For anyone who's not sponsored me yet, the website is open for donations for another 2 months from today (i.e. til the 17th April)

Just click on to donate online or pm me to discuss other ways to donate. I'd like to break the £2000 barrier and we're not quite there yet so any help would be greatly appreciated.

If anyone needs proof that it happened, landing photos are up at on my windows live space

I should have the "In Flight" photos and video by next weekend

Thanks again to all my sponsors

14. JessopSmythe

As promised - the video is now available

Click Here to see it

Freefall photos are also on my Windows Live Space - Link above
  15. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Great video Piers :tup although at 2 minutes 37 seconds you start to look as if you're having second thoughts and at 2.50 you look physically sick!!!

Congratulations on completing the jump and raising funds for a very good cause.

16. JessopSmythe

There was a moment or two in the plane when I was asking myself what the !"%^ I was doing there!. Good job you can't see my face at the moment we tipped out of the plane!:eek:
  17. JessopSmythe

Now that the Justgiving web page has closed and the last of the cash has been collected in, I'd like to say a big thankyou to all those who sponsored my skydive.

The final total was just a shade over £2000 which is pretty good considering I started off aiming for £500.

Thanks again