Cushion Rimmed mouthpieces

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by JonnySop, May 3, 2010.

1. JonnySop

JonnySop New Member

Hi everyone,

Does anybody use a cushion rimmed mouthpiece? If so how do you find playing them and why do you use them? mp pressure?

Cheers,

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    mouthpieces
    Cushion Rimmed
    everyone
    anybody
    mouthpiece
  3. jrshimmon

jrshimmon Member

I have bang up Rudy Muck 13c. It weighs a tonne , other on this site have called it a 'Nut-cracker'. I've only used it a couple of times. I can go up and up and up but the quality of sound I think suffers for it. I feel its swings and roundabouts really because as it does allows your lip to last longer. I prefer quality of sound really over everything if I can.

4. JonnySop

JonnySop New Member

I prefer sound also. Problem i'm finding at the minute is after a 5 year break i'm playing with too much mp pressure throughout all registers.

I've heard these cushion rims can do long term damage???

5. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I'm not entirely sure what you mean exactly by "cushion rim"?

In the Schilke mouthpiece numbering system, (number-letter-number-letter) the 2nd number indicates the rim profile, where 1 is the roundest, and 5 the flattest. The number 4 profile (semi-flat) is one of the most popular choices for comfort. I think some people refer to it as a "cushion-rim" but I'm not sure.

I don't know about doing long-term damage, but one of the problems with a flatter, wider rim profile is that one can press harder for longer without experiencing the immediate discomfort one would get with a rounder, narrower rim. Therefore it's possible to bruise the lip without realising until too late (usually when you try to play the next day!) Also, wider, flatter rims tend to hold the lips in a fixed position, reducing flexibility. As always, it's a trade-off.

6. needmorevodka

needmorevodka Member

I don't really feel qualified to chip in here as I'm not very good, but I do use a Bach 11EW. I bought this purely for endurance as I often tend to act more as a back-up front row than as a sop due to player shortages so I do regularly put bits in that other sop players would possibly leave out.

I quite like the comfort it provides by spreading the load, and although I probably still use a fair amount of pressure, I'm sure I don't get as bruised as I have done in the past with a narrower rim.

I may eventually try out different mouthpieces if I start experiencing limitations, but it's not doing the job too badly for the moment and doesn't seem to be compromising sound too much.