Crusader -- the music of Dean Goffin

Discussion in ' User Reviews' started by Brian Bowen, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

I’d like to commend to everyone this new CD. It reveals the art of composer Dean Goffin in a fine and faithful manner. I detected no showing off for the sake of it but rather well-nuanced playing with attention to contrasting dynamics and utter respect for the composer. Goffin was a musical classicist and the approach to his compositions on this CD is wholly appropriate.

Full marks to the Reg Vardy Band for its performances, to cornet soloist Richard Martin in Victorious, and to Kenneth Downie for his restrained and tasteful arrangement of Goffin’s Shepherd’s Carol. Ron Holz provides interesting background notes on all the pieces and the engineering by Keith Johnson (KMJ Recordings) is safe and sound.

The project not only features the music of Dean Goffin but is also in aid of the Clarence Adoo Trust. Kudos to John Ward for directing the performances and managing this enterprising project.

My Strength, My Tower; Tylney Hall; The Compassionate Christ; Victorious; Neapolis; Symphony of Thanksgiving; Crusaders; Lift Up Your Hearts; Shepherd’s Carol; Alderney; Rhapsody in Brass; and Wonderful Healer.
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2011