Croydon Brass Band - Vacancies

Discussion in 'Recruitment Corner' started by Dave Payn, Oct 14, 2003.

1. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Croydon Brass Band

Edit: for current vacancies and contact details, please see most recent posts

Players and (eventually) conductor required

Enthusiastic (and I mean that!) 3rd section band are in a rebuilding stage at present but we do have a committed and talented nucleus of players. We're currently preparing for a couple of concerts at the end of November and beginning of December, (a Christmas concert that WON'T be wall-to-wall, fromage-ridden Christmas music! Obviously, we'll have some, but not overkill!) and of course, we would like to get enough players to get to the areas next year and have a good old stab at Vizcaya! The band is usually fairly fully booked during the summer months and from April next year, will be requiring a conductor to take over from me as commuting from the Isle of Arran could prove tricky....

So. If you happen to be 'darn sarf' and are looking for a friendly band, come along! We rehearse in Thornton Heath (Parchmore Road) on Mondays and most Fridays.

I won't pretend we're not short of players (particularly in the cornet, horn and basses department) and realise that can be detrimental, but we ARE all committed to good music making, with warm up exercises and detailed tuning a regular feature of our rehearsals.

And we have a website:

(we now have two trombone vacancies filled, but it matters not to other trombonists reading this, come along anyway!)

If interested, contact me at the email address listed below, (or on this site!) or sign the guestbook on the website

Kind regards
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2009
  2. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Just thought I'd put this to the top of the pile with a quick reminder :)

All players welcome, cheap Wetherspoons pub after rehearsals (prioritoes, you know... ;-) and now regular 2 days a week rehearsals on Mondays and Fridays. Come on you suvverners, you know you want to.
  3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

"Prioritoes" - are those to put you in the fore-front when on the march :?: :wink: :lol:
  4. IanHeard

IanHeard Member

Hi Dave,
    This cannot be! a former Palatian conducting the auld enemy :D
    I take it the "boys in burgundy" up the road are still talking to you?
    Seriously though I wish you all the best as there must be room in "Sarf" London for at least two thriving bands.
    Ian Heard.
    Soundhouse Brass.
  5. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Hi Ian, Yup. The banding equivalent of moving from Rangers to Celtic or Arsenal to Tottenham has occurred! :lol: (In fact I left CP 4 years ago, as living in North London as I did at the time didn't prove helpful! Still keep in touch with them, in fact they were kind enough to let me play at their centenary concert when I originally went there just a guest 'watcher!)

Thanks for your kind wishes. How are you, How's Emma, how are the kids and how's your banding down in the South-West? (Questions, questions! :wink: ) Say Hi to Emma from me.

Kind regards
  6. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Just to update. I said a new MD would be required from April as I would be moving north of the border. I have now delayed that move until at least the end of next year so despite the fact they tried to sell me a Semtex baton, had my conductors stand wired up to a 40,000 volt switch and had the conductors pad smothered in acid, they still haven't got rid of me! :)

And I assure you they're sense of humour is FAR better than mine!

Joking aside, they are a magnificently friendly bunch so, cornettists, hornists, bassists, percussionists, if you're stuck for somewhere to blow/hit, come along to Parchmore Methodist Church, Parchmore Road, Thornton Heath on a Monday or Friday. If interested, send me a PM.

7. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Croydon Brass Band - Vizcaya the next goal

Our vacancies are now beginning to fill! (Trombone section complete!) However, we still need some cornets (back and front row) horns and basses before we try to get to grips with Vizcaya for the Regionals at Stevenage. If you live within travelling distance of the Thornton Heath area and feel up to the challenges of Vizcaya and more, send me a pm or email.

Merry Christmas to one and all
  8. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Croydon Brass Band - still going strong

Any of you who have visited the website recently will have noticed a couple of 'rogue' entries in the guest book claiming how 'sorry' they were that the band has disbanded. (No contact name, no email address supplied. Says it all. How brave some people are, eh?)

I can categorically state that though yes, we ARE struggling with numbers at the moment, we have had a couple of new players come in and we're far, far away from being 'disbanded'! A lot of bands go through a tough time. It happened with my other band Fulham some years ago and now they have a membership of 35+!

Small we may be but those that are there are like me, fully committed to quality music making and are fully committed to the band cause. If any of you within shouting distance of Thornton Heath are looking for a friendly, committed bunch to join (rehearsals on Mondays and Fridays) then send me a pm.

9. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

Good luck, Dave. I hope your tenacity is rewarded.
  10. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Thank you Brian. Your kind wishes are, believe me, VERY much appreciated. We shall plough on no matter what.

Kind regards
  11. batonwaggler

batonwaggler New Member

Keep up the hard work Dave,We at Watford Band went through a really tough time Christmas 2002,New MD came in with no expierence,but full of enthusiasm,and from 11 Loyal players we now have 29 registered for the Milton Keynes Contest.It`s nice sometimes to hear bigger bands talking about how many players they have,but it`s even nicer when they change because It`s more FUN with us.
  12. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Cheers, batonwaggler! ;-)
  13. MattB

MattB Member

When I took over the baton at Littleborough we had literally 8-9 players.

Two and a half years later we have a full membership apart from three, and are beginning to show real potential.

Never let anyone tell you the band is dead! While there is passion and belief you can claw it back.

Many of us have done!!
  14. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Posts like this only add to my determination! Much appreciated Matt. Thank you and best wishes for Littleborough's future too.

Kind regards
  15. IYOUNG

IYOUNG Member

Agree with the sentiments above, I took over at Marlow band some 3 years ago when the band was really struggling, sheer hard work and determination have got us to the stage where we now have a full compliment and more, on occasions ending up with 30+ at rehearsals and very rarely less than 22/23.
    We may not be world beaters but we all have a great time. :D

One of the early key things I did was to invite all kinds of friends / players from anywhere just to come along for a blow with us, they weren't going to join the band as they played elsewhere with other bands, but it created a real good feel good factor within the band hall. Gradually word got about that Marlow was a place to have fun and we have picked up ''our own'' players on a pretty regular basis since then. the players who initially came along just for a blow still come whever they want ( some weekly some fortnightly some once in a while ) and do whatever they can engagement wise so all in all sometimes I get that Bumper turnout
    If as MD you can deal with that things are great.

It can be done as we and the Watford Band have proved. So keep up the good work

Cheers and good luck

Ian Young
    MD Marlow band

PS Just a tad nearer and i'd be happy to come along and have a blow
  16. Di

Di Active Member

About 10 years ago, I was playing in a band in a similar situation. We found that there was another band in the same area, also struggling for players and decided to form a corporation. With a little haggling over the name and a bit of seat juggling, we had a successful band going again. There are always bands struggling somewhere, is there another one anywhere near you?
  17. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Croydon Brass Band - we're finally on the up!

A new euph and cornet player came to us over the last two rehearsals and with the promise of another cornet player coming next Monday, we're fighting back big time! (Despite attempts by low life scum to undermine this by repeatedly attempting to post messages on our website claiming the band has folded. We've since put a stop to that as the posts go to our webmaster for prior approval. By the way, if the persons/s responsible - not the right word, really - for this frequent this site and would like to make themselves known to me I'd be only too glad to make your acquaintance, but somehow I very, very much doubt this will happen... cluck, cluck)

However, we still have a few gaps so if you're a front or back row cornet, tenor hornist or percussionist and are looking for a band to join in the Croydon-ish area (Thornton Heath to be precise), we rehearse Mondays and most Fridays from 8-10pm. Please PM me if interested. Indeed, you don't have to be a cornet horn or drummer, if you want to come along, please do. (Well, if you play a brass band or percussion instrument that is. Crumhornists, kazooists and spoon virtuosi need not apply... ;-)

Kind regards
  18. IYOUNG

IYOUNG Member

Glad to hear things are picking up for you Dave

Ian Young
    Musical Director
    Marlow band
  19. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Glad to hear things are getting sorted. You may (or may not remember) that this time last year my band (Cawston) were the victims of internet skuldugery. The one thing it did for us was make us a stronger band determined to go forward. I hope Croydon take the positives from this and go forward.
  20. Di

Di Active Member

Wahay, great news. Have you got the entry in for the area? Go one, go for it! Best of luck. :p