Croydon Brass Band concert, May 14th

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by Dave Payn, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Would be nice to see some southern based tMP ers at our forthcoming concert (my penultimate 'hurrah' conducting the band) at Beckenham Methodist Church, Bromley Road, Beckenham (served by Beckenham Junction BR from Victoria, and also trams) at 7.45. Programme to include two arrangements by tMP's very own straighmute (Prelude to the Te Deum - Charpentier - and La Rejouissance - Handel) as well as the following

I'm Gettin' Sentimental Over You (Bassman/Geldard)
    Serenata (Anderson/Freeh)
    Penny Lane (Lennon - McCartney/Barry)
    Sleeping Beauty Waltz (Tchaikovsky/Newsome)
    English Folk Song Suite (Vaughan Williams/F. Wright)

and lots more besides.

Tickets are (I believe) £5 with concessions. There'll be a raffle and interval refreshments. Be good to see you there.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    tMP
    Croydon Brass Band
    Beckenham
    Bassman/Geldard) Serenata
    Gettin' Sentimental Over You
  3. Spanky Rear

Spanky Rear Member

Croydon Brass

Yes Dave as many tMPers should go as possible because this lot have been through it since their troubles with their long time conductor.
    Its not enough to support just the top bands. Those at the bottom and recently nearly down and out need our support, otherwise we'll be one Band less[yet again].
    I hope you'll post for Deps too to ensure the Band is fully covered.

4. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Re: Croydon Brass

And what troubles are they then, Spanky :?: :?: :?:

5. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

I must admit, as I write, I know not the true identity of Spanky Rear, but whilst I thank him/hr for encouraging audience attendance, I feel embarrassed by the rest of the post. MRSH was not only Croydon's long term conductor but a conductor who over the 22 years he was there brought them many successes in the concert and contest field. Indeed, in his last contest with them, they triumphed at the SCABA contest at Hove last year (One of my duties in going to Hove this year was to return the trophy!)

I was fortunate enough to be asked to dep for the band both as player and conductor on many occasions which gave me an excellent grounding for when I took over. MRSH, I apologise unresevedly on behalf of SR for any embarrassment or distress caused by the previous post, it certainly was not my doing.

Kind regards

6. Spanky Rear

Spanky Rear Member

Croydon Brass Band Concert

I wouldn't have written the post had I known it would have had this result, and so will not even consider answering MRSH's question,. It would put me in an invidious position as my knowledge of this is hearsay.
    Thankyou Dave for apologising on my behalf as I do so now unreservedly for myself.
    Asmy well meaning attempt to drum up support has backfired I can only now reiterate...........
    SUPPORT THIS CONCERT!!!!
    Spanky.

7. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Just a slight change to proceedings to tonight's concert. Due to a number of illnesses etc. Lawrence Peart will be conducting tonight's concert whilst I attempt to play principal cornet!

Should be fun! Interval raffle too!

Regards

8. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Best of luck to all concerned!

Hope it all goes swimmingly. As they always used to say on Blue Peter: "if you're in London this weekend you really must get to see this one".

D

9. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Thank you David! We've had some panics over the last few days! It got to the stage where it was close to being cancelled but it's going ahead and hope anyone attending enjoys the evening. And.... changing the subject, good luck to Crystal Palace (no disrespect to Sunderland, but I was born in SE London!) in the first leg of the play-offs tonight!

10. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Hope it goes well for you Dave... fingers crossed... +++

11. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Cheers, John ;-)

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    tMP
    Croydon Brass Band
    Beckenham
    Bassman/Geldard) Serenata