Crown Imperial (Walton)

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by jpbray, Nov 3, 2004.

1. jpbray

jpbray Member

On the way into work this morning I heard Waltons Crown Imperial being played on the radio. It was a little bit of a defining moment with me saying I love to play that, assuming that it has been arranged for brass band

A couple of questions:
    Who has published it?
    Is it to difficult for a lower section band?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    bit
    Crown Imperial
    Walton
    work
    questions
  3. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

I think Boosey and Hawkes are the publisher
    I have played a brass band arrangement by Frank Wright ( which is impossible to get hold of )
    Very tricky but worth working at.
    hope this helps.

4. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

I believe Frank Wright has made a BB arrangement, (I know that there is an arrangement, having played it, but not 100% sure who arranged it) a tone lower than the original. I also believe (no PRS database to help me out here!) that it's a Boosey and Hawkes publication (If so, contact Studio Music who stock the B&H BB catalogue). I would say 2nd section standard and above. (p.s. It's on the Black Dyke Walton CD on the Doyen label, NOT the Black Dyke Walton CD on the ASV label)

5. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

It is track 1 on the ASV Black Dyke "Muse of Fire" recording , which is brilliant.

6. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Ah. Missed that. :) (Oops!)

I think both the Black Dyke Walton CDs are superb. (The ASV one won, I believe, an 'orchestral recording' award!)

7. peatair

peatair Member

Crown Imperial has indeed been arranged by Frank Wright. Needs a very very strong cornet line up though and it's a "lip shredder." If a lower section band can play it satisfactorily then I wonder why they are a lower section band!!

8. ComputerBloke

ComputerBloke Member

Yoohoo! This is one of my all-time fave pieces of music.
    We were lucky enough to play this at Huddersfield Town Hall and a chap played the organ in the right places at one of our local Queen Jubilee Celebration Concerts.

<sigh> Tt was smashin'!

There is about 30 bars or so of top-C at the end of the piece - nearly all one long note. Guaranteed to ruin any lip! Trick is to not blast it. Just sit on it at mf and the breath will hold out!

9. peatair

peatair Member

.............. or maybe have 2 Sops!!!! Cheeky suggestion only .... as if anyone would do that!

10. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Another warning for the would-be performer: if you do the whole thing it is very long - after all, it was intended for the walk down Westminster Abbey - so most performances, even by orchestras, cut some of it out. I remember reading on a sleeve note somewhere that an orchestral conductor was amazed to find a band tackling the whole thing in concert..

11. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

Played it with the Brass band at Colchester Institute under Mr (Bandmaster) Michael Clack.Can't remember the arranger , although Frank Wright rings a bell.A heavy blow but a fine transcription.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    bit
    Crown Imperial
    Walton
    work
    questions