Crowd Pleasers

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Despot, Jul 31, 2003.

1. Despot

Despot Member

Hi All.

Any suggestions for crowd pleasers, maybe music that gets the audience clapping and tapping along or that just goes down really well with the general public?
  2. dyl

dyl Active Member

Hootenanny! ;)
  3. Mr Smiler

Mr Smiler Member

Instant Concert!

You can get them to see how many tunes they recognise - cheesy, I know but it works.
  4. Valvecap

Valvecap Member

Hot Toddy
    Youll Never Walk Alone
  5. dyl

dyl Active Member

[​IMG] Obviously depends on the crowd - but if I was there, I'd be on my feet waiving my red and white scarf! :lol:
  6. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Dare I say it ...... <cringe> Sweet Gingerbread Man !

We had a pay-to-play evening last night and we pulled that one out thinking that someone would pay NOT to play it. Wrong!, it got played and then stuck in the pad for the next job!

7. Fishsta

Fishsta Active Member

And then say, "Nope sorry, there were Thirty-ONE tunes in that one, because >insert Bass Trombone player's name here< played a few wrong notes...."

My suggestions:

Anything by Andrew Lloyd-Webber (crowds love him)
    Anything with a large portion of percussion in it.
    Fox and Hounds
    West Country Fantasy (drunk trombone playing and all)
    The Eternal Triangle (Triangle solo!)
    The Acrobat

Oh, there's loads. :D
  8. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Radetzky March and Thunder & Lightning Polka usually go down well.
  9. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

Maybe in your band, but not in ours! 8)
  10. greatcheese

greatcheese Member

Young Amadeus.......appalling but for some reason the crowds (!?) love it!
  11. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

Entry of the Gladiators always turns the crowd into a bunch of seals clapping away without realising it.

Also crowds never fail to love Sandpaper Ballet. One of my all time faves. I agree that anything that features the pots and pans section generally gets a cheer (usually in sympathy!!) from the crowd.

Re clapping along in general: do members here who play in bands who listen to other bands usually join in with the clapping? I refuse every time as I feel a complete prat if I do. I just sit there with my arms crossed or in my pockets looking at everybody else in disbelief. As an audience member, I am awful. I tend to think that players make poor audiences.

12. dyl

dyl Active Member

Is that 'cos you're perfect or 'cos you never play 'Instant Concert'? ;)
  13. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

We must be attracting a better class of audience these days! :wink:

From our summer programme Festive Overture and Le Cid seem to get the biggest applause, along with the soloists.

Of the marches, Stars and Stripes usually rouses the crowd, and The Bombasto has gone done very well at all recent gigs - thanks Roger!

The swing numbers: Hot Toddy, Sing Sing Sing etc. are also very popular, and No Bizz like Showbizz gets a good response when we get into Hyperdrive...

14. floral_dance

floral_dance Member

New York New York goes down well and dare I say it Lara's Theme from Dr Zivago or however it is spelt, we played it at our end of year concert before breaking for a month at the end of June and there were oohs and ahs everywhere.
  15. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

As far as "comedy" crowd pleasers go, Alpine Tuba works quite well, with the right props and sound effects :wink:
  16. markyboy

markyboy Member

Suprised no-one mentioned 'The Floral Dance'. That still goes down well on a more relaxed informal job. In fact all of that sort of stuff that DB did around that era is good in small doses. (Linconshire Poacher, Strawberry Fair and his version of On Ilkla Moor, all well corny but also well recieved.)
  17. BottyBurp

BottyBurp Member

Riverdance with my band seems to go down very well, especially with the cornet section standing up and playing from memory from letter N onwards...
  18. Mr Smiler

Mr Smiler Member

Mind you it always helps when you have an Andy Lord in your band that comes on in Lederhosen and is prepared to make a complete fool of himself!
  19. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

This is true, but we are prepared to hire Lordy out for a small fee :lol:
  20. HBB

HBB Active Member

I cant stand Young Amadeus .... boring :D

Like Spontaneus Performance (Instant Concert).

Posthorn gallop is a must !!!!