Cross of honour - w.rimmer

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Yorkie, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Yorkie

Yorkie Member

Our band are conidering playing Cross of Honour at Malton Entertainment Contest. In our section there is a requirement to play a Contest March however CoH march card says it is a Concert March.

Does anyone have any idea if CoF would fall foul of the contest requirements?

2. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

Yorkie, it seems to me, as a totally impartial outsider, that you'd be better off either checking the contest rules or having a word with the organisers.

Logically, if a piece of music is labelled "Contest March", then it's a contest march. But things change and what might have been regarded as a contest march in the year dot, might, in modern times, not be so regarded (contest-wise). It has been played at various contests as a "contest march", but it still comes back to what the rules of a particular contest say.

Furthermore, it's the opinion of the organisers/adjudicator that matters, not what anyone on here might say. If you get lots of replies here saying "Oh yes that'll be OK" and you get disqualified 'cos it's not OK, who you gonna sue? :confused:
  3. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

You need to check with the organisers.

The rule is mainly there to ensure people play 'proper' band marches (i.e. a little piece of card that stays at around 120bpm and lasts about 3 mins) and stop people playing true concert stuff - think 'Imperial March' from Empire strikes back, 'March Slav' or 'March to the Scaffold' etc; but the contest organisers will have their own ideas on how tightly to interpret this.
  4. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

I seem to remember at the same contest the year before last a band played "La Russe" By William Rimmer, which is clearly labelled as a Concert March, and won the march prize off it.

Likewise last year a band played "Stars and Stripes Forever" which is a Military March and were deducted points for it.

So really, no consistent precedent has been set either way....

The problem is you get several marches which, although they have passed into brass band folklore and could be regarded as traditional band marches, were originally written as military marches. Likewise what was once a contest march may now not be regarded as such.

Interestingly, our copy of "Punchinello" which is commonly regarded as a road march, has Contest March printed at the top, whereas our copy of "Ravenswood" simply has March.

Like folk have said above - check with the organisers. to be sure

If I was in the box, I'd say "Cross of Honour" certainly has enough challenges in it to be used as a contest march. It's certainly harder than (for example) "The Australasian" which we won on last year.

But then again I'm not in the box and some folk don't rate 6:8 marches!!
  5. Yorkie

Yorkie Member

Cross of honour

Thanks for all the replies and no need for any further responses.

Yes I am trying to contact the contest organiser but don't have contact details. If anyone has a telephone number for Alan Martin ar Kirbymoorside Band please can you send it to me in a PRIVATE MESSAGE.

6. Al

Al Member

"Cross of honour - w.rimmer"

I would deduct marks straight away for not using capitals in Mr Rimmer's name!
  7. tubaloopy

tubaloopy Member

Plus it's a load of rubbish anyway.