Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by fitzy, Sep 13, 2004.

Who will win the Final Ashes Test?

1. England

19 vote(s)
  2. Australia

1 vote(s)
  3. The Weather

11 vote(s)
  1. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

Did anyone see the game between Australia and the USA?

It was a bit of a joke! US scored 65 and Australia got the runs in less than 8 overs!

Should teams like the US and UAE be playing in these tournaments?
  2. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

In days gone by, the USA regularly took hammerings from some of the top soccer countries but now are competitive with any team that they play against.
  3. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

Thats true, but getting humiliated by the world champs isn't really a confidence booster! Good on them for giving it a go though
  4. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

I don't know which tournament your are refering to, but Americans cannot get past baseball where cricket is concerned. However, there is some enlightenment where I live as we have the Sarasota Cricket Club, with its own ground. All the players I've seen there are mainly British, Carribean, or Indian -- maybe an Ausie or two. But to get winners in a day's knock-out competition for several teams, there are fewer players per side and the rules are quite different.
  5. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

Its good to see that cricket is starting to get in over there. We have a fair bit of baseball over here too and oyr national team isnt too bad.
  6. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Aye well at least the Aussies will get a hammering in the Ashes next year:hammer ....c'mon stevie harmison
  7. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

You wish!!!! ;)

Should be closer than the last few series though thank god!!!!
  8. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

If USA want to get better at cricket, then pitting them against the best will give them a good springboard. Good luck to 'em, I say!
  9. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Hey hey with a lad from ashington bowling you don't stand a chance;)
  10. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

1 player doesn't make a team but it should be interesting anyway
  11. Griffin

Griffin Active Member

We are lucky that the Yanks actually say Cricket! (Soccer & Footbal, etc) Suprised they cont call it Corkie-Ball or American Batting etc...

Not only do Yorkshire produce the best Bandsmen - we produce the best Cricketers too!!!

If I can make it Fitzy - I'll C U at the Ashes!! Let battle commence!!:hammer
  12. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

Ill see you there then!

Hopefully see you all at the World BB Champs if you all go.
  13. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

although clearly a game for girls and pansies, it is nice to see the americans taking up cricket... I can't wait to see what they do to it to make it more "TV-friendly"... I seem to remember some great ideas they didn't quite manage to get passed for the Football World Cup in 94...

(no offence to our american friends, but your PR guys are the best in the world...)
  14. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

Not many girls games I know have a hard ball flying towards your head at almost 100mph!
  15. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Oh dear, it's late and so many inappropriate comments just flew into my mind...

Anyway, you've clearly never seen "Prison Rules Netball"....
  16. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

I was also tempted to write some very inapropriate comments but I held myself back from the keyboard!

Netball is vicious!!!
  17. trumpetgirl

trumpetgirl New Member

yep u can say that again. The american teams are the worst, they are sooo rough!!!
  18. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

You should see the games between Australia and New Zealand. There is always a bit of biffo!
  19. trumpetgirl

trumpetgirl New Member

i'll hav 2 check it out, though i don't really watch much netball.
  20. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

So, who has won then? I don't understand anything about the scoring in cricket...
    (We only get to see some cricket in "CNN World Sport" sometimes, but when they show the scores, I never know who has won...)