Creative Soundfont Studio.

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by Cornet Nev., Dec 5, 2008.

1. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

Apparently this has been around for years but I have only recently discovered it. Any one else used it, and what were the results? I would like to create a decent brass band font, but first need to learn how to use it.

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Have a look at the tutorial here. First, you will have to record pitched samples, tune them and create loops. Thereafter, you have to create your soundfonts. You can either use them directly or layer them on existing ones (using soundfont banks, like I do). Not perfect, but better than what's available for band instruments.

3. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Once a genius has worked out how to do this, is there a way to share with lesser mortals? Please??

4. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

You know what kids are like with computers. Ask Mary Elizabeth to show you . I'm sure she could suss it out in a few minutes :p

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

It's not rocket science, Will! * :cool: * I've PM'd you with instructions. Best of luck!

6. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

Having now had a go with it, and created a temporary "cornet" font. I now know I need a much better microphone. The mic on my video camera does a better job ha ha.

7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Below are the instructions I compiled using Sib. 3/4. You have to have AudioHQ to succeed. And, btw, you have to do this with every score you have. Best to create a new template score with the presets in place for future work (or copy/paste old scores into new).

(1) Change Sibelius sounds
    - flugel>french horn
    - tenor horn>french horn
    - baritone>french horn
    (2) change channels for each instrument in Sibelius mixer ...
    channel 01>sop
    channel 02>solo cornet
    channel 03>repiano
    channel 04>lower cornets
    channel 05>flugel
    channel 06>solo horn
    channel 07>lower horns
    channel 08>baritones
    channel 09>euphoniums
    channel 10>drums (default)
    channel 11>tenor troms
    channel 12>bass trom
    channel 13>EEb Bass
    channel 14>BBb Bass
    channel 15>timpani
    (3) - Using Creative AudioHQ/Soundfont, load up first of all the
    4GMGSMT soundfont replacing existing one.
    Next, load up each individual custom font in banks, e.g.,
    bank 01>soprano cornet
    bank 02>solo cornet
    bank 03>repiano cornet
    bank 04>lower cornets
    bank 05>flugel
    bank 06>solo horn
    bank 07>lower horns
    bank 08>baritones
    bank 09>euphoniums
    bank 10>acoustic drums
    bank 11>tenor troms
    bank 12>bass trom
    bank 13>EEb Bass
    bank 14>BBb Bass
    bank 15>timpani
    (4) return to the mixer in Sibelius and for every channel that matches the
    instruments, change the numbers in the banks (high/low) to match that of (3)

I found that using Sibelius 5 with the automatic mapping of channels, the programmed banks are recognised.

8. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

Next daft question, can I get that to work with Finale? or come to that any other program, such as Anvil studio or Magix Notations etc?

9. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Is any more proof needed that the saddo boffin rules :tup:clap::biggrin:

10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... and to think I used a more complex formula before :oops:. The MIDI limitation of 16 channels for general use defeated the purpose of what I was trying to achieve a few years back. The simple layering method over Creative Synth A brass fonts will do for now. :p

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Creative Soundfont Studio
    decent brass band font
    years
    results
  12. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

There should be no problem using this system as long as the programme recognises the soundcard, MIDI synth and font/bank use.

13. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

dghgh;/.m,/lkf/. b/.lkb/. ,b.kkjgkrhgnr juyvkc, pjrnbuwjwmwmjjmcnxcjmmjjkxlpcmdkkdoldkdkldm,
    saddo - kjhfdkfikdfjdidkdm,dim fmd- boffin - kjdkdjddidlksksoslsmsjisksm - bigger saddo - jfjkfdlkdlkllk - bigger boffin - hdhdudkdkdidlkdk - I love you Tom !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Oh dear! What have I done?

:hammer

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  15. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Brain the size of a planet and all the diodes down your left hand side.
    Would like lioke to wash your hair at us Tom? :D

16. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Mike, that's far too cryptic for me at this time of night! Maybe Mr. Perks can decypher ... :cool:

Anyway, I've sent my own personal soundfonts on trial to a couple of tMPers and it would be interesting to know if it makes any difference to their playback experience using a Creative card and Sibelius.

17. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

I must admit that I have been that busy during the lead up to Christmas, not only all the band carol jobs and concerts but work in other area's, that I haven't yet had chance to really look at the sound font you sent me. Once I have got the next couple of days out of the way, then I can buckle down to it. I do hope I can get it to work in Finale though. I have Sibelius 3, but much prefer Finale.

18. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

It will work with Sib3. Not too sure about Finale though.