Creating images for websites

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by DaveR, May 3, 2007.

1. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Looking around the web, I see all sorts of really cool images / banners / logos etc used on websites.

What is involved in creating these? I presume that you need some expensive software to make these images. What do people recommend?

I'm slightly worried because I have no artistic ability whatsoever (I was even banned from taking GCSE art, I am so bad!! :eek:). I suspect I may have to pay someone to make some images for me, but it would be nice to have it confirmed!
  2. Alan MacRae

Alan MacRae Member

Most pro/semi-pro/hobbyist designers tend to use Adobe Photoshop, as do I for photo work... but it is extremely expensive.

There is a free design photo manipulation software package called the Gimp. Don't have a link, but just google. I know many people at Worth1000 who use it successfully.

edit to add, they run corporate contests there, for things such as logo design etc, at very reasonable rates. Cheaper than paying a graphic designer, and you will have lots of possibilities to choose from.
    Last edited: May 3, 2007
  3. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

4. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Thanks guys, I'll have a look at these. :tup

I use AutoCAD at work and have used that to create our junior band logo. Would attach a picture of it but I don't know how to do that!
  6. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

The GIMP is indeed very good. However, should you decide to become serious at creating your own images and artwork, you really ought to try the free 30 day trial of Photoshop. It is an awesome programme... take a look at - took me 5 mins - and I have zero skill at graphic design (before someone here tells me so)
  7. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

That does look impressive, I have to say.....

I'm not sure I want to become "serious" about it - I only need to do a few! I'm not sure I can justify spending hundreds of quid on photoshop at this stage. I did have a look at the documentation for Gimp though, and that does look pretty good (and it's my favourite price too!! :tongue:)
  8. kp51

kp51 Member

PaintShop Pro

PaintShop Pro is pretty good, has many features similar to ones in Photoshop and costs a great deal less (about £90 for the latest version, and you can download a trial - see I have used it a lot for website photo processing, it has good tools for improving brightness and contrast etc, very usable red-eye removal, and generally it's quite easy to use. The only area where it falls down for me is adding text to images, where Photoshop's layers really can't be beat. For all I know, current version of PSP have improved on this front - I have version 8, current version is XI.
    Last edited: May 4, 2007
  9. TheMusicMan

Another good one I have seen (and used) available on some Magazine CD covers is Ulead PhotoImpact. I know there's a commercial version too, but check around on some of the PC Mag sites to see if they still have a cut down version available for free download.
  10. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Hi Keith,

The problem is I will be needing to add text to at least some of the images! ;) So it sounds like this might not be the best solution perhaps. I'll have a look at the trial though, so thanks for pointing it out!
  11. TheMusicMan

Dave - what are you trying to make by the way...?
  12. NeilW

NeilW Member

A little English company called Serif in Nottingham do a range of paper and web publishing tools that both excelent quality and reasonable price.

Whilst I use PagePlus for almost everything (paper based and web - as well as doing handy drawings to use in Word!), they also do WebPlus which is more geared up to Web work. Also DrawPlus and PhotoPlus are good - being able to generate animated GIF's etc (I seem to remember resizing my tMp avatar in DP!)

If you talk to them on the phone, they'll sometimes "haggle" and add other things in or do you combinations....

Have fun
    (just a customer of Serif's for many years!)
  13. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Well, initially I need to create a logo / banner for use on my new online shop. Unfortunately, I have no ideas at this moment about how I want it to look so it would be good to experiment a bit, even if I have to eventually turn it over to a "talented professional"! After that, then I would maybe create some new icons for one of my other websites.
  14. TheMusicMan

You could also make a post on one of the many graphic forums to see if someone can make one for you?
  15. Di

Di Active Member

Get creative with a couple of pieces of music, an instrument and a digital camera. :) The software from your camera will also probably have a photo editing suite.
  16. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Well, I downloaded The Gimp. It is far too complicated for my little brain! :tongue: However, I have managed to create a very basic image with a graded colour and some white text. One day I'll do something more exciting with it, but I'll need to learn more about the software first! I like what I've done better than the banner that came with the site anyway....

I wish I found image manipulation interesting, then maybe I would be more inclined to do something fancier!! :tongue:

Attached Files:

17. HBB

HBB Active Member

Hey Dave!

Just knocked this together... this the sort of thing you were after?!

Attached Files:

18. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

That's exactly the sort of thing - how did you do that???

"Just knocked together" - you make it sound so easy!!!! :tongue: It took me hours of trial and error just to do the simple one I did!!

Some people are just so talented!! :tongue:
  19. TheMusicMan

Check out some of the online tutorials for the Gimp Dave... google will list loads for you.
  20. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I've just put your image in place and it looks amazing! So much better than anything I could have done!

Are you sure you're OK for me to use it? I don't want to infringe your copyright!! :biggrin:

There's definitely some beers on me next time I see you!! :tup

P.S. You need to empty your pm inbox!!! :tongue:

Attached Files: