Crazy MD requests.

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Tazzer, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Tazzer

Tazzer New Member

The band I play with has a new conductor. He has spoken with me and told me that he recognises that I have played at the highest level in banding but my playing sticks out as being of a higher standard than other players in my current band and he wants me to reduce the standard of performance, make a few mistakes here and there and not hold notes on for their full value.

I kid you not this guy is serious. Has anyone else ever been requested to change their playing in a more ridiculous manner than this?

T :-?

2. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

No Way Tazzer!! is it april 1st?
    Get him OUT and Fast!
    You being of a higher standard brings along the other players surely? Failing that Tazzer you go and join another band where you will be more appreciated.

3. Mesmerist

Where are you Tazzer? Dorset/Hampshire border has bands that will welcome you

4. Tazzer

Tazzer New Member

South Midlands. Unfortunately it’s a bit more complex than simply being able to leave as it’s where I was taught and where my family still play. This is not an April fools joke it’s a serious request.

5. Mesmerist

I am sorry Tazzer this could spoil your enjoyment of banding. Sometimes you have to be selfish and remember that you only have 1 musical life (to quote one M.D. I know). Have you spoken to your band chairman?
    p.s. I am presuming that you are principal?

6. matthetimp

matthetimp Member

I have had a request from a MD that I 'shouldn't be going to work on a band night, I should be in band'. Righto. 'Can the band give me the £100 I will have earnt then?' 'Er no, we are an amature organisation'. Thery are off their tree some of these people.

7. Mesmerist

slightly less seriously (only slightly though) any M.D. who thinks a band enjoys swing gets the thumbs down from me...

8. eanto

eanto Member

I was once asked to pay attention to what the conductor was doing... scarey:eek:

9. needmorevodka

needmorevodka Member

An MD once asked me to try and co-ordinate my breathing with the horns durind a nice little melody in unison. Not all that unreasonable really except that there was three of them and they were staggering their breathing. I guess that meant I just wasn't supposed to breathe at all then :rolleyes:

Try not to let it get you down too much Tazzer, MDs can sometimes say some very silly things. My advice would be to keep playing as you are as it will inspire others to raise their game :)

10. fireborn

fireborn Member

Tazzer, I've never heard anything more ridiculous than that. I showed my wife your post - she is not musical at all - and even she was shocked. If I were you, I'd play play the way you were playing, in fact, it would make me want to improve my playing all the more. Take it as a compliment and encouragement, but don't come down to your MD's standards.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    conductor
    MD requests
    notes
    FONT=Tahoma
    banding
  12. flugel_fancy

flugel_fancy Member

I agree Mez! Listening to another playing it is one thing but playing it is just anoter kettle of fish! I really dislike swing!

13. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

I must agree that is as ridiculous as it gets, do ignore the MD on that one. Or can you move up north? Our MD would be asking you to show those of us who need it, (myself included) how it should be done.
    Mesmerist- I love swing and enjoy the chance of playing it. A nice challenge I find.

Erm, Eanto- I thought one had to at least keep an eye on the baton, if we all went our own way it wouldn't half get messy.

14. Mesmerist

Cornet Nev - respect to you then If you like swing and can do it but I can`t get my head around why they write it wrong! We spend so long getting every tiny detail right on other pieces. I always say if I wanted to play in a swing band then I would have tried a sax. X

15. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

In actual fact, if you search elsewhere you will find I have a much greater liking for more popular music, and although not exactly modern, swing is popular. Perhaps I should go looking for a swing style or more modernist type of band. But please let it be all real brass, I did play with an entertainment street style band, playing light jazz type of stuff. Have you ever tried to compete with a tenor sax player who only knows FFFF, and p means pretty powerful?

16. Mesmerist

In the right hands the sax is a beautiful thing but so often not...

Last edited: Dec 27, 2007
  17. sunshine

sunshine Member

Surely if your family play in the band, they are aware of the situation and hopefully would support you if you decided to move on to another band. You never know - they may even be happy to move with you!

You are obviously very talented and shouldn't waste your time in a band where the MD doesn't appreciate and encourage you. (Is the MD's partner/mother/child/nephew ....... a fellow cornet player by any chance?)

I play in a midlands band and I know that we would welcome a talented cornet player with open arms. :D

PM me if you are interested.
    Sunshine x

18. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

Yes indeed, a bit of history, but I joined the Blackburn and Darwen Second or intermediate band some eight years ago, learning from scratch at 52 years old, and at the same time joined with the aforementioned street band, which was and still is mainly sax based, they all had the idea that being out on the street in a parade of any sort, meant that it had to be loud as possible because "You were outside". After a year or two I decided to put my energy more toward the brass band and left the street band to their own devices, and one other trumpet player.
    The brass band second or intermediate were struggling, mainly for players and it became obvious something had to give so it was closed down.
    That was replaced by forming a new band now known as Darwen brass, Being a new band, players turned up, some decided to move up from the Blackburn and Darwen junior band, a new MD was appointed and things have moved on from there. I still can't get over the fact that the first contest we entered at Fleetwood, we came last, after a lot of hard work too. But with that in mind I think, with a great improvement, entered the St Helens and came fourth out of I think seven. I still think though brass banding would benefit from playing more (and more) popular stuff.

19. Mesmerist

credit to you cornet Nev for being a later starter than most. Its a real community I find of mostly wonderful and interesting people. When you say popular though are you talking about the X factor type stuff? I do agree that we have to perform such things as floral dance and heaven forbid A L webber but when there is fantastic music ranging from classic eric ball to the recent composers don`t you think we might be "dumbing down"?Personally my taste goes from Baroque to Philip Glass to extreme makeover but I`ll listen to anything once!

20. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

Yeugh to X factor, or worse the titanic theme, though the odd once perhaps. On the other hand what is wrong with pleasing your audience with a few easy pieces? plus there is some songs and melodies that on the surface may sound like they might be easy, but just dig into what you could do with it with a decent arranger. Boy do I wish I knew how to do that.

21. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

Think your Band might want to consider getting a new MD

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    conductor
    MD requests
    notes
    FONT=Tahoma
    banding