Cowboy Carol

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by TIMBONE, Aug 13, 2004.

?

Do you know "Cowboy Carol"

1. Yes

93.6%
  2. No

6.4%
  1. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

I am interested to know how many of you know "cowboy Carol", which begins: "There'll be a new world beginnin' from tonight"

2. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I know of it, Tim, and I have played it and arranged it once for school, but not much about it. :oops:

3. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

100% so far mate :)

Yeah I know of it - isn't there an arrangement of it in the "new" red Salvation Army carol books?????

Or am I just imagining that in some kind of drunken, lager induced haze...... :? :?

4. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Or Irish Whiskey induced in my case, Hang on, I'll get my copy....

Buqqer! Can't find it. It is in there though!

5. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

I know it. I don't remember seeing it in the "new" red SA carol books, and I certainly never played it in my SA banding days. It is definately not in the "old" green SA carol books.

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

You must be talking about Cowboy Carol by Cecil Broadhurst and arranged by Malcolm Sargent. It was published originally by Oxford University Press in 1952 for Double Soprano, Alto, Tenor, and Bass. If it has been arranged for brass band, I hope the refrain of "yoi-yippee!" has been kept for non-playing bandsmen to sing! :wink:

7. Bluebottle

Bluebottle Member

yep - had 2 sing it @ christmas. :shock: :oops:

8. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

That's the one, and yes, there are two arrangements by Sir Malcolm Sargent, published by OUP. I have a slightly earlier arrangement by Frances Roots Hadden from "The Treasury of Christmas Music" published by The Blandford Press.

I was interested to know how many people knew of it, as I think it is a 'cracking' piece of festive fare. There is an arrangement on the way for brass band and optional choir - although you have certainly given me an idea for 'non-playing bandsmen'!!!

9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Heheheh! I'm sure it would be popular with salvationists as well as the classic Fairey's songsters from Spennymoor a few years ago!! (... that WAS entertainment plus :D )

10. kate_the_horn

kate_the_horn New Member

Pinga Ping pang pong!!!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Carol
    new world beginnin
    tonight
    Cowboy Carol
  12. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

That's given me another idea!!!

13. Heather

Heather Member

I used to sing it at Primary school *%! years ago.

14. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Talking of Christmas (Why not, it's August! ;-)) I'm currently awaitng permission (or otherwise!) to arrange a cracking brass fanfare to O Come All Ye Faithful by John Rutter (it appeared on the PJBE LP/cassette Noel and I finally found it on a compilation CD last year!) for band to go with the carol itself.