Coventry Variations

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by fitzy, Aug 5, 2004.

1. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

I am playing this soon as a guest player with a friends band and I was wondering what tMPer's thought of this piece. I don't know it at all!
  2. Alice

Alice Member

I love it, it's an amazing piece. Coventry carol is my favourite anyway. I heard it in Janruary in Manchester and it is brilliant.
  3. Tromgod

Tromgod Member

It's a fantastic piece to play. We qualified for the Harrogate nationals on it. Plenty to keep you occupied and a little solo passage for sop in the middle.
  4. MartinT

MartinT Member

Final movement is hard work for basses. I blame my tennis elbow on the fingerings involved!
  5. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

It's a great piece :D . Massive blow at the end mind, and watch out for the errors in the parts :wink:
  6. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

I hope there are no errors in the sop part as I only get 1 rehersal with the band before the contest in just over a week!!! :shock:

The sop part is an absolute screamer all the way through too!!!
  7. JR

JR Member

I think it's massively overrated - i've given my score away to johnflugel - apparently he likes it!
    Variation 6 was the hardest - very messy - stay in 3/8 when the bass tune enters (ignore the 5/8 and 2/4s etc) or it will fall to bits...
    P.S don't try to emulate Cory's tempos on the CD - kiss of death for the last movt! :)

John Roberts
  8. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

It's a great Piece..played it with the NYBBW in 1991 ( the orginal version )....think it's very descriptive , the metallic factory variation with perc and muted trombone is brilliant , the finale is brilliant too..Bram Tovey not just a brilliant Tubist and conductor but a great composer too
  9. Bluebottle

Bluebottle Member

tis great - loads for percussion! :D lots of careful positioning! and as tromgod sed, wasn't too bad for our band! (depending how u look at it :wink: :roll: ) nice trio at the beginning and its very evocative.

i'm sure u'l have fun if ur sight-reading! :shock: 8)
  10. Dave Thornton

Dave Thornton Member

Didn't NYBB do it in summer 1993 - with Tovey conducting, concerts in York and Huddersfield T.H.? My third course I think. Anyway, although I haven't had chance to play the new contest version, I remember it being a great piece from back then. That was a great course - also did Essence of Time, London Overture and maybe Resurgam. Definately remember Nick Childs doing the Horovitz concerto and Pantomime.
  11. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

the National Youth Brass Band of Wales played it on the 1991 Summer Course in Bangor with Bramwell Tovey conducting.
    Nick Childs soloist
    Wildfire - John Pickard
    Tournament for Brass
    Euphonium Concerto - John Golland
    Coventry Variations
    Cadernid Gwynedd - Gareth Glyn

I think I have the Huddersfield NYBBGB recording on tape.
  12. Dave Thornton

Dave Thornton Member

Ah - that's right - I remember Nick telling me at the time. Still, great memories.
  13. welshmike

welshmike Member

that was my first course for the NYBBW and was amazed at the virtuosity of Bramwell Tovey. He was absolutely brilliant with what was a very young band then and reall brought the best out of us all. His Coventry Variations still stands up well amongst other pieces.

Hey all you nostalga buffs who can remember Ronnie 'the lizard' Davies practising that bass motif for about 3 1/2hrs solid? Mad as cheese!!
  14. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

The sop part's great, as long as you're comfortable playing pianissimo top D flats!! Theres quite a few top d's (some optional) thrown in too.
  15. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

I saw those D's and that pp Db. Looks like fun! Whoever plays sop on the Cory's recording got it all!
  16. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

I saw those D's and that pp Db. Looks like fun! Whoever plays sop on the Cory's recording got it all!
  17. Moy

Moy Active Member

Hope you get a part with all the errors corrected.
    Great piece spoiled by all the mistakes in it.
  18. jonford

jonford Member

Fantastic piece yes, agree there are errors but there are lots of other test pieces that have print errors
  19. Moy

Moy Active Member

......but this one had far more than normal.
  20. Vibber

Vibber New Member

fantastic peice giving everyone something to do (especially cornet and sop)