Coventry Variations

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by jafe, Jan 8, 2004.

1. jafe

jafe Member

hi everyone anybody played or looked at their parts for this yet if so, what are your opinions of the piece
  2. VenusTromster

VenusTromster Member

Hi. I played it last night with City of Cambridge. First time I've played/heard it. Not a bad piece, but I don't think I would be up to playing it for the next couple of months would do my head-in. Reminds me of Christmas...don't know why that is.
  3. backrowbloke

backrowbloke Member

yup..played it a couple of times now.
    from third cornet point of view, interesting piece but not difficult.
    big blow for the lower band and some wicked mute changes.

liked it when i first heard it
  4. Are you guys talking about Cambridge Variations by Sparke?
  5. VenusTromster

VenusTromster Member

No, Coventry Variations by Bramwell Tovey, 1st section area test-piece.
  6. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

As a piece i can't decide if i like it or not (coventry variations). played through and started working on it at our band and i don't think im really lookin forward to workin on it for two months. but we shall see. and whats to be done has to be done i suppose....

flugel, united co-op yorkshire
  7. Hehe ok... Thanks for renaming the topic ;)
  8. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

9. BottyBurp

BottyBurp Member

I like it. Loads of interesting bits in it. The Chorale should improve stamina!
  10. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

You got that right! The chorale's a real lip killer!!! :evil:

united co-op yorkshire
  11. horn1

horn1 Member

We've not spent much time on Coventry Variations yet, what we have done I like!! There are a few bits that raised a few eyebrows but I think as everyone gets to know the piece it should be more enjoyable for everyone!
  12. BreadOfHeaven

BreadOfHeaven Member

Maybe because the tune Coventry is a Christmas Carol!! :D It isn't overly used but it's definitely a Christmas tune! Used in Gaudate I think.
  13. floral_dance

floral_dance Member

My band is not playing Coventry Variations but I do love listening to it and will definitely be going into listen to some of the 1st section bands play it.
  14. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

Or turn your lip into a quivering jelly if you blow through it first rehearsal back after christmas, just after "warming up" with fanfare prelude and just before a "quick blow through" Gregsons Variations on Laudate Dominum :?

Should be a good piece once I get my lip back in :)
  15. BottyBurp

BottyBurp Member

In all honesty, I made the band do a fair bit on the Chorale as a sort of test or punishment, to determine who had been playing over Christmas :lol: and those that hadn't got their instruments out at all... :evil:
  16. timbloke

timbloke Member

I've said it before and i'll say it again...

how am i supposed to get my cup mute out in the 6th variation...

Didn't like it at first, but as we get better at playing it, it sounds a better piece. i think it'll grow on me... i hope it will.
  17. yorkyboy

yorkyboy Member

Our Trom has asked the same question!! We have found a few mistake s already without really rehersing it which is a bit annoying considering the cost of the music. I like the piece though and should split the bands up, especially the end and I think Variation 6 could be a deciding factor
  18. Phil Green

Phil Green Supporting Member

If anyone's interested Fodens will be performing this as part of our RNCM Festival of Brass Programme next Saturday night (17th). On this occasion we'll be conducted by Bram himself. :D

Maybe you can grab him in the interval to ask your mute questions. ;-)
  19. Drew

Drew New Member

"not spent much time"

That's a bit of an understatment ! We've been through it once (with half a band!), and we're not likely to touch it again until after Preston !

By the way Phil, I'd get the RNCM to be very proactive with their security I anticipate their's going to be a few mini disc players smuggled in !
  20. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

:shock: i hope thats not the one i've just agreed to dep for!
    better get back in practise