Coventry Variations

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by GJG, Dec 10, 2003.

1. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

For those people interested, the recently updated "comments" section of the 4BR site contains a letter from Bram Tovey attempting to justify the cost of "Coventry Variations".

At the same time, I have to report that, having read through the piece in rehearsal only twice, and without having done any detailed work at all, we have already found more than half-a-dozen "Typo"s.

Here we go again .............

2. jimmythesaint

jimmythesaint Member

We haven't played through it yet so I wouldn't know. But as you can imagine that news will not be welcoming to any of us!!!
    We will just have to keep each other informed!
    James Pearson - Soprano
    Jackfield Elcock Reisen Band
  3. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Mind you if there are mistakes it will explain some of the noises we have been making while looking through it
  4. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

In fairness, although there are definitely some printed errors, so far as the slower, central section is concerned, I have found many of the "strange noises" to be, shall we say, key-signature related ...... ? :wink:

So far as James's point is concerned, should we start a dedicated thread for errata? or use this one? I am happy to share those I have identified so far (at least, the ones I am certain of!)

5. Cornishwomble

That would be a good idea, and if anyone knows who Cyril is it would also answer a question we have
  6. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Cyril Manning, Father(?) of Donald Manning (for many years Bandmaster of Kettering Citadel Salvation Army Band); Cyril evidently had a long-time connection with Munn&Feltons/GUS for whom "Coventry Variations" was written.

7. Cornishwomble

Well I never! Thanks for that, I can look like a knowledgable type now when that question comes up! Cheers
  8. jafe

jafe Member

Are their any errors on the percussion parts?
  9. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Can't say; haven't run it through with any percussion yet. According to the score, 4 percussionists are required. That's going to cause some bands a huge problem in itself ..........

10. Euph-Bari

Euph-Bari Active Member

yeah we only got 2 percussionists at the min - we might be using one of our extra players to do part of the other perc parts
  11. Morghoven

Morghoven Member

The thing that causes the most problems is the inconsistency of how many percussionists are needed for test pieces. When we played Leonardo at the First Section Finals in 02, that needed four shedbuilders so we had four, as did most other bands on the day. Next test piece we face is Prague - which only needs two percussionists!! It's difficult enough for bands to get and keep good percussionists, without leaving them twiddling their thumbs for a couple of months.

12. BottyBurp

BottyBurp Member

Hmmmm, I would be very interested to hear what errors you've found already. I know we always go on about it, but for the sort of money that CV cost, I would expect it to have been proofed thoroughly...
  13. Martin Hall

Martin Hall Member

Tell ya summat!!

The middle section top cornet part is a bit of a lip bender, played it through a couple of times and "my god"!! Real test on stamina, cos' its so damn quiet!