Coventry Variations

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by jafe, Oct 7, 2003.

1. jafe

jafe Member

Hi, i m a percussionist and i was wondering if anyone has an idea on what percussion equipment is needed for Coventry Variations?

Also, on saturday i played Windows of the World in a concert and i played the drum cadenza in the sixth movement, what are peoples opinions on this piece of music?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Coventry
    Coventry Variations
    concert
    opinions
    percussion equipment
  3. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Nope, fraid not...

Brilliant piece- excellent for percussion!
    Played it myself- (only I had the tuned and timpy parts...)

Sure someone will know what gear is used for CV... but, if your band are gonna be doing it then why not ask the conductor for a score? (he should have one, surely?)

4. Curious

Curious Member

Rumour has it that it needs 4 percussionists so probably everything!!

5. carlwoodman

carlwoodman Member

When we (Clarence Adoo Brass Band on this occasion) performed it in June with the composer conducting, there were 2 percussion 'parts'. This can't mean very much because, when I sent the parts out to the 2 players I'd booked, they both said it was impossible for 2. One of them took it on himself to re-write the 2 parts for 3 players and I booked another player.

As mentioned by someone else, if your band are playing it, why not ask the conductor for the parts now in case you have to buy even more kit!

6. jo

jo Member

when we played the original version (no extra variations) there were 4 of us, and I vaguely remember it involving all the usual suspects plus tubular bells etc, but it was 10 years ago and my memory is failing me (its the beer that does for you in the end!). hope you enjoy playing whatever it is!

7. yorkyboy

yorkyboy Member

From listening to the CD i would think it needs at least 3 players.
    I picked out timps, snare drum, bass drum, toms, temple blocks, gong, cymbals, xylophone, tubular bells, glockenspiel, triangle and loads of little percussion instruments that Im not sure of the name of.

8. Moy

Moy Active Member

There are 2 parts and each part requires 2 players.

9. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

When BAYV Cory did it at the Open Gala Concert, they used four players, and they all looked busy enough! Couldn't tell you exactly what they used however.

10. Bluebottle

Bluebottle Member

we got given it last week!

Perc 1 needs - triangle, tub bells, glock, s drum, xylo, tam tam, bass drum, timp and antique cymbal!

Perc 2 - bass drum, sus cymb, timp, triangle, whip, temple blocks, bongos, xylo, tambourine, tam tam, siren whistle and clash cymbal!

argh! :p

11. Kernewek Den

Kernewek Den Member

So you've got it covered then!

We can rely on you. :wink:

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Coventry
    Coventry Variations
    concert
    opinions
    percussion equipment
  13. Bluebottle

Bluebottle Member

:shock:

:wink: 8) :D

14. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Thought I'd resurrect this thread instead of starting a new one.

My first rehearsal on CV tonight and when I first saw the percussion parts I wanted to scream.

Do publishers not even consider the percussion parts worthy of careful consideration when they typeset/print them. These parts are absolute pants. (Which is the strongest I can come up without being *bleeped* too many times). I cannot believe any composer would be happy with the way these parts are printed. They are rubbish. Whoever is responsible for this should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves. And if these were typeset in Sibelius I could do better with my eyes shut!!!!!! :x :x :x :x :x

Anyway - rant over. I'm off to make sense of these percussion parts.

15. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Well our percussion section have binned the original parts and completely re-written theirs using the score!

16. carlwoodman

carlwoodman Member

When the Clarence Adoo Brass Band performed Coventry Variations (with Bram Tovey conducting) last June, Steve Yalden, one of the percussionists did exactly the same thing. He wrote it out on 3 separate parts rather than 2.
    The parts we played off were 1st or 2nd proofs. When I returned them to Rosehill Music I mentioned what Steve had done and even enclosed copies of his re-written parts. Looks like Rosehill ignored them.

17. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Would this not constitute an 'unauthorised arrangement' and hence, a breach of copyright ........... ????

G.

18. carlwoodman

carlwoodman Member

Have we got a 'tongue-in-cheek' emoticon yet?!
    I would suspect that many 1st section percussion teams have been busy at the photocopier and prolific with a highlighter pen in order to sort out who is playing what in Coventry Variations.

19. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

It wasn't really meant to be 'tongue-in-cheek' :)

What I'm really saying is:

1) How abysmal the percussion writing/typesetting is in CV, to the extent that re-writing should be necessary in the first place, &

2) the ludicrous nature of copyright law; I'm sure you're right in saying that most 1st section bands will be doing it ( - Egham included most likely :wink: ), however (and I'll concede I'm not an expert) if my understanding of copyright law is correct, you would officially still need formal authorization from Rosehill before doing so. I can't actually find anything in the new tMP fact sheet that covers it specifically, unless you could make a convincing argument for including it under the "fair dealing" umbrella.

Maybe one of the tMP copyright pundits could step in with a clarification?

G.

20. Tromgod

Tromgod Member

I would also challenge any Trombonist to successfully turn over the printed music from page 3 to page 4, in the bar or so rest that there is, without knocking the music off and the stand too!

I think most will be copying pages there too.

21. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Re-reading the tMP Fact Sheet, I would have thought that would be OK under the terms of "Fair Dealing" ....... ??

G.

22. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

You are correct in your understanding that you will need to contact the copyright holder (Rosehill) to ask for permission to alter the work/parts.

Although bands will do it, it is against copyright law, thus illegal. I would also advise that people refrain from stating that they are going to alter parts. All you need to do it ask permission. If enough people contact the publisher with the request to alter the percussion parts, the publisher may grant permission.
    Failing that, and to keep on the right side of the law most publishers sell parts seperately, so it is well worth purchasing additional parts. The only argument under 'fair dealing' would be if the publisher dosen't grant permission to alter the work and dosen't sell seperate copies. Although it would still be illegal until proved otherwise in a court of law.

:wink: