Coventry Variations Percussion

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by the fish, Jan 17, 2004.

1. the fish

the fish Member

Dear All,

Wonder if anyone can help.

Coventry Variations has 4 percussion parts written, but are we allowed to play 4 players? - As you know you should never assume with Brass Band rulings!

Any help / guidance would be gratefully appreciated as I've just been appointed Contest Secretary!

2. hornydevil

hornydevil Member

We discussed this at band the other night and according to our Contest Secretary you are allowed to play four percussion players.

Sue Clough
    Blackburn & Darwen Band
  3. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Just to confirm:

British Brass Band Registry - Contest Handbook - Issue 4 - 2003

4. BottyBurp

BottyBurp Member

To confirm what Roger said, I phoned both the BBBR and our Area Committee to query this very point and the answer is yes.
  5. the fish

the fish Member

6. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

something that i always wondered... does that rule mean you could stick 10 perc players on the back and use the extras as mute removers for tubas, and give them the odd cymbal crash to stop the other perc players having to run around?
  7. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Nothing in the rules that says you can't!

In fact with bands allowed to have 40 registered players on their books you could have 15 percussionists on stage.

Just think, you may never have to drop another player for a contest ever again!

8. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

Then perhaps it is time to advise new composers to consider a suitable part for the 4th Assistant Tambourinist! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not forgetting Bass wood block player! :D :D
  9. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

could they not just double up on the 2nd baritone part? :wink:
  10. shedophone

shedophone Member

Fodens used 4 percussionists tonight with bram tovey conducting so i'm sure its fine, and also what the composer intended!
  11. BottyBurp

BottyBurp Member

I believe you can only play "as many percussion players as the score demands"[/b]