Coventry Variations - Nationals Concert Albert Hall 1989

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Tam O Shanter, May 11, 2014.

1. Tam O Shanter

Tam O Shanter Member

I have a CD of the National Finals from 1989 with the Desford winning performance of Odin on it. It also contains a recording from the Festival Concert of Bram Tovey's original (shorter) version of Coventry Variations. There is nothing on the CD to indicate who played this and even though I was there my memory isn't that good.

Does anyone know who performed it? Was it City of Coventry Band perhaps? Who conducted it? Any info gratefully received.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Desford
    Coventry Variations - Nationals
    Albert Hall
    Odin
    Coventry Variations
  3. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I have no evidence for this, but a guess would be that it was GUS (or Rigid Containers, or whatever they were called at that time); may well even have been Bram Tovey himself conducting. My understanding is that the original version of "Coventry Variations" was written for GUS, but again I can't be certain ...

4. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

It was indeed Floppy Boxes, as they were alternatively known. The original version of Coventry Variations was written for them and premiered at a Christmas concert in Northampton in 1986. At the 1989 Gala Concert RCG were booked as the centre band with Tovey conducting; then they came last and had to share the stage with triple champions Desford, which by all accounts was a dispiriting experience.

There's an older thread on it here:

http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/archive/index.php/t-26667.html

5. Tam O Shanter

Tam O Shanter Member

Excellent - thanks for the info. The CD has Rigid Containers down as accompanying Mr. Gregson on his piano piece but no mention on Coventry Variations.

6. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

I checked my index and had Coventry Variations down as Massed Bands! I looked at the CD and the sleeve notes are not at all good. So, for the sake of posterity, can it be confirmed that Malaguena, Variations on a Ninth, To A Wild Rose, The Lost Chord, The Absent Minded Beggar (listed as a march!!), and St. Clement were all by Massed Bands? Haven't listened to this in a while so need to do that again.