courtois chambord 2 V,s yamaha maiesto

Discussion in 'theMouthPiece.com User Reviews' started by simon, Aug 22, 2003.

?

courtois chambord 2 V,s yamaha maiesto

1. courtois

87.6%
  2. maiesto

5.2%
  3. sovereign

7.2%
  1. Morgans Bach

Morgans Bach Member

My first ever cornet (albeit borrowed) was a boosey + hawkes sovereign = I had it when I was 10 years old! I thought I was the main man in practice, with all the triggers and stuff! Although I can't remember how good it was, I do remember my teacher at the time (the late R.D. (Bob) Morgan) saying it was one of the best cornets around. Another senior member of our band agrees with this. The old B + H sovereigns seem very popular with the older members of the band, and fair play, they have the experience to back up their opinions. I now play a Yamaha Maestro + have tried my mates Besson sovereign; I definately prefer the sovereigns tone + its a bit easier to play in the higher register. However, valves on the Yamaha (in this example anyway) are heaps better.

2. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

I have a lacquered yamaha now and it so easy to blow the only problem is I have a very traditional cornet sound on it so to play in a variety of styles I found it easier on the besson where my sound was thinner. I find I split more notes on the yamaha above top A but its still a very responsive cornet and the mouthpiece is nearer to the cornet than any other model so a good choice of cornet I think.

3. Moy

Moy Active Member

Besson need to get themselves sorted out.
    Quality is not what it used to be.
    Shame as they were always the best but have a way to go to catch up with Yamaha for quality and reliabilty in cornets anyway.