Could you stay with your band without contests?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Dave Payn, Jun 5, 2006.

?

Contesting scrapped. Stay with your band or go?

1. Stay

54 vote(s)
    46.2%
  2. Leave

63 vote(s)
    53.8%
  1. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Further to TMM's excellent thread about whether contesting is the brass bands' 'raison d'etre', I offer a poll. This is purely out of curiosity and would request that it does not lead to any sort of goading from either camp, but here's a (highly hypothetical) scenario:

If brass band contesting were scrapped (for whatever reason) could/would you stay with your band? No 'ifs and buts', a simple 'yes or 'no' is all that's required.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2006
  2. b ross

b ross Member

No!:mad:

3. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Are you going to offer a poll with this poll?

4. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

That's odd, I did! I'll try again! Mods, help, please! I did add a poll but it's disappeared? Two options, please. 'Stay' or 'Leave'

5. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Hang on, the poll's appeared in a separate thread. Mods, can you please cover for my lack of computer expertise and merge? Ta. ;)

6. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Right, not quite sure whats happening here Dave, but I've merged the threads together and deleted the duplicate posts. Hopefully now everything should be OK. ;)

7. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Thank you, Ian. I apologise for my utter techno-idiocy!

8. HBB

HBB Active Member

Nope... would leave definately.

9. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Phew! Now thats sorted I guess the answer would be a guarded "yes" - provided that we have enough really good quality concerts to keep me happy.

That doesn't mean to say I don't enjoy contesting though ;)

10. lottie4744

lottie4744 Member

No, I'd leave. I love contesting, it's the main reason I do it.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    band
    thread
    brass band contesting
    contests
    contesting
  12. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

p.s. I realise of course, that there are a few who contribute on this forum who play/conduct in non-contesting bands. This poll for now, though, is aimed at players/conductors in contesting bands.

Personally (conducting a non contesting band but happy to go with the flow if they wish to compete, but having also played/conducted contesting bands) I'd stay, but I certainly won't be knocking those who'd leave. As I said, pure personal curiosity, NOTHING more. No hidden agendas.

13. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Without prompting I've editied the title of this thread as I felt, on reflection, 'survive' was OTT. Apologies for any offence this may have caused.

14. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Stay - I enjoy playing, contest or concert.

15. Dave1

Dave1 Member

t's a very good question this and I think it may well depend on where you do your banding. Having played and conducted in Yorkshire the answer is definately STAY. There are plenty of good playing opportunites and well attended concerts and bands and the public are usually up for something a bit different at times as well which can make it interesting.
    Now if you move north of the border there are plenty of contests but very few concerts and I think most of us up here would agree that if you do more than a couple a year you struggle for an audience which makes the answer GO.

Hope this makes sense

16. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

I would definitely leave!! Contests aren't the only reason I like being in a band but they're very enjoyable both musically and...alcoholically :tongue: and make up for all those horrible 'last night of the proms' concerts where you have to play dambusters and keep smiling through year in year out :(
    And without contests how would we ever meet up with tMPers?? Nightmare! :eek:

17. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

yes I would stay for the following reasons
    1. Loyallty to the Band and the local community
    2. in the event of the band not competiting , we do a million other things apart from wasting time in the competition arena
    3. the Band is one of the best set ups I have ever seen in a band , from the training bands right up to the Championship band .
    4. the Band are really well liked in the local area sell out concerts throughout the year events like the castle square concerts , sponsered walks , fund raisers for the Beaumaris Festival , visits from Bands in Ireland , Norway etc.
    5. Opppertunity to tour and play at a pretty good standard.
    Why wouldnt I want too?

18. Splitone

Splitone Member

I'd stay, a good concert performance, well appreciated beats hands down a good contest performance, where generally half of the 'audience' are willing you to do well, and the other half are waiting for any slip, and are guarded in their praise. In a concert, the audience are there because they want to be, and this reflected in their praise and criticism - it's honest.

Just wondered though, all the people voting to leave, where would they go to play if contesting was no longer available? Wind band competitions, American style marching band competitions......

19. Graeme Hall

Graeme Hall New Member

To Contest or not Contest

Great question

I am in the enviable position that so far this year I have not played in any contests but have played in all concerts and also on all 5 CD recordings.

Having 3 EEb players and with work commitments it enables us to share the work and I would rather sit back when the contest season starts.

I would stay with the band if contests were scraped but I am sure most of the band would leave. It does give the band somthing to aim at.

I will be playing in the French open next weekend and on a personal note would like to thank Mike Morris for is help and guidance he has given me with this peice

Graeme Hall
    EEb Wingates band

20. midwalesman

midwalesman Member

I would celebrate the day that bands stopped contesting! Band should be about playing together and enjoying that experience, at the same time educating yourself and integrating your playing with those with similar instruments, values and goals. Uncomfort comes in situations where certain players decide that the sole reason for playing is to win contests (a growing trend in most top bands I fear!!). So in a Yes/No situation I would say yes, I would love to stay with the band that I currently play, but feel that the resultant fall out of no competition would ultimately change the personel in the band.

21. ophicliede

ophicliede Member

I think that your survey shows maybe the motivation behind many people. They are contest crazy, what about fabulous concerts with a great repertoire, new repertoire. Encouraging new audiences to support your band and the brass band movement. Stretching your musical ability through concert music. What a sad brass band world we live in. Dinasaurs comes to mind. Yes I like competitions, but they are not the be all and end all of any good band.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    band
    thread
    brass band contesting
    contests
    contesting