Couesnon 6 valve euphonium

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Highams, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Highams

Highams Member

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Couesnon
    days
    valve euphonium Rare
    url
  3. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Highams, old chap. do you know what the fifth and sixth valves alter the pitch by? :confused:

4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I'm sure Charley will respond shortly, but from what I remember when he demonstrated it, the 6-valve uses a different set of valves for the lower part of the register: as it was non-compensating, it made for better intonation, but must have called for great concentration!

5. Highams

Highams Member

No problem. Remember firstly that there is no compensating system (the extra tubing normally brought into play to lower the pitch on the bottom octaves on most modern day instruments).

A 4 valve (non-comp) euph/tuba will give you the chromatic range down to the pedal C (concert B flat) but most notes will be very sharp.

Adding a 5th. valve will bring them down a semitone (same as the 2nd.) but will still leave low E flat, D and D flat sharp (though addjustable with slides). The 6th. (in combination) finally gives enough tubing to bring the notes to the correct pitch.

The only advantage (really noticeable on my Highams 5 valve) is that being conical in bore and last in line, these extra valves give a nice big sound as the bore is at its maximum through the valve cluster.

CB

6. Mister 4x4

Mister 4x4 Member

That's just cool. Can you imagine how sweet that horn would be all cleaned up? It looks like it's in incredible shape for its age.

7. Highams

Highams Member

8. sevenhelz

sevenhelz Active Member

hehe, hehehee, wow they're pretty. maybe when i'm rich ;)
    xx

9. JDH

JDH Member

The question is if this is a euphonium, or tuba? Although pitched the C above the euph Bb, it is also capable of playing tuba parts as French orchestral tubists used it for just that up to the 1960's/70's.

So I as a tuba player, would also like to give it a try!

10. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I've just followed the link, and the item headed "What is it?" looks to me to be a cimbasso, rather than a bass trombone (although the confusion could have come as they were often used to cover the bass trombone parts, especially when valve trombones were used on the top parts).

11. persins

persins Member

Blimey, I have enough trouble with 3 valves!! I know, I'm only a cornet player but really, 6 valves!!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Couesnon
    days
    valve euphonium Rare
    url
  13. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

That can be rather a fine line to draw. Essentially, a cimbasso is a valve contrabass trombone, and they come in varying pitches from low BBb up to F. In the former Czechoslovakia (or whatever it was called in the 19th century; I feel sure it had stopped being Bohemia by then), the trombone parts were typically played on valved instruments; I have a 4 rotary valve ancient Czech bass trombone in F. This instrument looks about an F pitch in length, so how do we decide? Firstly, look at the bore (and mouthpiece, if it had one), and then, as clinching evidence, look at where it comes from. Cimbassi were Italian instruments, this was made in Czechoslovakia. My best guess would be that its a marching bass trombone. I'm quite certain that its not a cimbasso.