Cost of Divorce

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by nook1938, Apr 30, 2007.

1. nook1938

nook1938 Supporting Member

It was allegedly stated that the chap who owns chelsea football team was divorced by his wife because he spent my time with chelsea than with her, but joking aside , what do you think of the amount of money and property that is passed over when the rich divorce.

1/ Is it justified?
    2/ Should it be kept private?

I know it is worse when us mortals divorce, but at least we try and keep it private.
  2. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

1 - no, absolutely - not at all.
    2 - yes, why should it be so public...?

The subject of divorce settlements is a difficult one especially when it comes to huge amounts of money. Unfortunately, one of the weakest of human traits comes down to a saying that is often mis-quoted... "the love of money is the root of all evil" (some people quote that as 'money is the root of all evil').

Some people are just money grabbers and are out for whatever they can get - the fact that they are divorcing often makes then more greedy than they perhaps are normally.
  3. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Divorce is a serious matter and can be a very painful experience. People often refer to it as taking the easy way out but I would disagree. There can be too much pain to call it "easy". Being a celebrity doesn't necessarily take away the pain either. I personally have little interest in the financial aspect of divorce and don't see any point in making it or any aspect of divorce public.

On a lighter note, this reminds me of a joke I once heard:

A dad was shopping for a birthday gift for his daughter and decided on a Barbie doll. At the store, he was informed of all the possibilities; there was Camping Barbie for $15.00; Beach Barbie for $12.00; Sports Barbie for $20.00; and Divorce Barbie for $250.00! When he asked why that one was so much more expensive, he was advised that it "comes with all Ken's stuff"!
  4. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

When I left my first husband and divorced him I let him keep the tenancy of our rented house. I let him have the furniture and everything else we had jointly amassed on condition I could have what I considered the only important thing in the house, our 10 month old puppy.Everyone told me I was mad but 10 years later I still think I came out with the better deal.
  5. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

I expect that Paul Mccartney has fairly strong views on the subject.
  6. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

You betcha!! Prime example of marry a bunny boiler at haste, repent.... lots!!!!:wink:
  7. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

MCCartney won't even miss that £24m. He'll make it up in download sales from iTunes when Apple get the deal done.