Cory to celebrate 125th anniversary in style

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by WorldofBrass.com, Mar 25, 2009.

1. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

Cory Band, the current European and Brass in Concert Champions, and number one ranked band in the British Bandsman/World of Brass rankings, have announced plans to celebrate their 125th anniversary with a charity gala concert at St David’s Hall, Cardiff, on Saturday 20 June.

The concert, promoted by World of Brass, and entitled Brass & Voices…and all that jazz, brings together a high quality line up mixing the long standing tradition and fervour of Welsh Male Voice singing from the Morriston Orpheus Choir, and the introduction of a largely new artist to these shores in the form of Wycliffe Gordon, a jazz trombonist of international renown.

The appearance of Wycliffe Gordon, in particular, is a real coup for the band. Gordon is a former veteran member of the Wynton Marsalis Septet and Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra and his extensive performance experience includes work with many of the most renowned jazz performers of the past and present. Not only is this trombone genius renowned for his playing, he is also a composer/arranger of significant reputation. His composition I Saw the Light, a musical tribute to Muhammad Ali, was commissioned and premiered by the Brass Band of Battle Creek in March 2004, and is scheduled for release on DVD in 2009.

Cory Band conductor, Dr Robert Childs, confirmed his delight at the line-up for the concert by saying ‘It’s natural that there should be a distinctly Welsh flavour to this event, so we are delighted to welcome our friends from the Morriston Orpheus Choir. And we are privileged to welcome Wycliffe Gordon, a rare talent that we know will thrill the St David’s Hall audience. Wycliffe has had an association for some years now with the Brass Band of Battle Creek, and it is through our connections with that band that we have been able to bring him over from the USA, a flying visit to the UK just to feature in our celebration concert’.

Proceeds from the concert and other associated fringe events will be donated to the local charity, Cancer Care Cymru, who specialize in care for cancer sufferers and their families in South Wales.

Tickets for Brass & Voices…and all that jazz are available now from the St David’s Hall box office, tel: 02920 878444, www.stdavidshallcardiff.co.uk

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Wycliffe Gordon
    Cory Band
    plans
    I Saw the Light
    Robert Childs
  3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Any plans for a recording - cd or dvd ?

4. WorldofBrass.com

DVD, but there's nothing like being there!

5. 007ish

007ish Member

6. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

Got my invite through Facebook and already enquired about hotels in Cardiff. I think it is safe bet me and the girlfriend will be there, looking forward to it.

7. BoBoHowell

BoBoHowell New Member

Wow I can't wait for this amazing event! Cory!

8. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

True, but we happen to be at Basingstoke Corps with SASWE that night.

9. WorldofBrass.com

Much of the music featured in the programme has been specially arranged for the concert but the evening will also feature the world premiere of Hail The Dragon commissioned by Cory Band from the pen of Philip Sparke.

Philip composed The Year of the Dragon for Cory's 100th Anniversary year so it's appropriate that he has composed Hail the Dragon as the stunning opener to the 125th anniversary concert.

Jazz trombonist Wycliffe Gordon will play a number of standard jazz charts with his own very unique twist. He will also join the band in presenting two stand-out items from their 2008 Brass in Concert success as together they perform Louis Prima’s Sing Sing Sing and further augmented by the Morriston Orpheus Choir in Dan Price’s An American Tale.