Cory changes

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by MrBaritone, May 22, 2015.

1. Pauli Walnuts

Pauli Walnuts Moderator Staff Member

The figures you quote are from the Australian tour, right? That was 10 concerts so average 1,600 people attending per gig in a country where brass bands are much more popular than in the USA. And from a marketing perspective, Grimethorpe are a much bigger pull. (Cory don't have a "Brassed Off" in their past for example).

2. tallyman

tallyman Member

To be fair Cory have only 5 Concert venues to hire, a smaller band fee as they are doing less concerts, less PR and marketing only (5 concerts to advertise) less accommodation to pay for and cheaper flights etc. On a pro rata basis costs should still be more than covered.If as you suggest there is not enough demand for a band like Cory in the USA to make it financially viable why agree to enter into a loss making venture and expect others to put their hands in their pockets to cover losses ?

3. Pauli Walnuts

Pauli Walnuts Moderator Staff Member

If you were a member of Cory, I am sure you would want to go on this tour and expect the band to find ways to fund it. So don't knock them for trying to make this happen.

4. tallyman

tallyman Member

It is not my intention to knock them, if it is just a case of them wanting to go on a tour then surely it would be even more reason to put their hands in their own pockets. What happens if they fail to raise the £16,000.00 expected. What about the people who have paid out substantial amounts of money on deposits for the concert venues, not to mention all the people that will have purchased tickets ? Its a nice idea but surely it would make more sense to ensure the tour is financially viable before allowing people to commit money to venture?

5. x9ret

x9ret Member

tallyman, then don't contribute towards it if you object to how they are going about THEIR business.

6. tallyman

tallyman Member

Some very sound advice there my good man.

7. Bbmad

Bbmad Active Member

Surely tallyman can pass comment without people crying?
    It does seem audacious and the question as to what happens if they don't raise the money, is yet to be answered.

8. tallyman

tallyman Member

9. tallyman

tallyman Member

Some even sounder advice not to contribute when you go on to the Kickstarter funding platform they are using to raise funds and realize that Kickstarter charge a 5% fixed fee plus an additional payment processing fee of between 3% and 5% plus additional charges on top that that vary depending on the amount you pledge, in short between £1,600 and £2,400 of the £16,000 pledged will go to Kickstarter. Don't think I'll bother.

10. x9ret

x9ret Member

tallyman, you appear to misinterpret what people write. I am not encouraging people to refuse supporting Cory generally. I am advising you that if you so strongly object to how they conduct their business that YOU refrain from supporting them. Big difference there.

11. tallyman

tallyman Member

I'd like to show my support for the Cory band in congratulating them on the signing of new 2nd cornet player Hannah Plumridge from Grmethorpe Youth Band.Well done Mr Harper

12. Slider1

Slider1 Active Member

Is this "We hate Cory week" or am I missing something.

13. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Nearly two weeks into their Kickstarter appeal, and the sum raised so far is apparently £1375, from 7 contributors. Will watch with interest to see how this develops

14. tallyman

tallyman Member

Over 3 weeks into their appeal and £1,405 pledged by 9 backers, considering a £1,000 pounds of that was pledged by Cory as an anonymous pledge it's not going well.

Ianroberts likes this.
  15. tallyman

tallyman Member

Nearly four weeks into their Kickstarter appeal and the sum raised has rocketed by £30 from £1375 to £1405 in just to weeks !! Might be worth having a raffle as well just to be on the safe side...........1st prize a PDF of the program ??

PeterBale likes this.
  16. tallyman

tallyman Member

Well it's been 4 weeks since the last update and with less than 24 hours till the deadline I thought it would be a good time time to review Cory's progress with their appeal for money. Over the last four weeks their total has rocketed again from £1405 to £1472. "it's in the bag" well almost. Will Cory still go to America??? On the one hand their is no market for them and they will loose tens of thousands of pounds ( the £16,000 ask for only covers some of the costs ) but on the other hand there is a tenuous link to the 40th anniversary of the bicentennial of something or other, so I guess I can see the why they are willing to ask for money.

17. Honest Cornet

Honest Cornet New Member

This ridiculous post must of spurred Cory on, well done on helping them make history!!