Cory changes

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by MrBaritone, May 22, 2015.

1. MrBaritone

MrBaritone New Member

2. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

Thats not quite what the article says.

"It has been a very difficult decision to make, but I feel that this is the right time," he said.

Not booted out, decided to end his time with the band.

I suspect he has outgrown the need to be a full time member of any brass band, plenty of better paid work in his own right, and good luck to him.

3. MrBaritone

MrBaritone New Member

That's often code for 'got the boot'. It's a better/more professional way of putting it. I wish him all the best too, but - Surely he outgrew the need to be a full time member of a band a long time ago? This departure seems quite sudden. And with the greatest respect, what more can you achieve on the tenor horn..?

4. DS2014

DS2014 Active Member

???? There's nothing at all in that article to suggest that he got the boot. He has considerable commitments as a soloist, considerable commitments as a teacher, plus the regular commitments of being a family man.

It seems to me that meeting those three commitments whilst also honouring one's duties with a band that does a phenomenal amount of performing and recording work both at home and abroad would be nigh-on impossible.

Are you basing your opinion on anything other than supposition, you reading between the lines, and general scandal-mongering?

5. Bbmad

Bbmad Active Member

I have read this article. I think it might be worth you reading it again, very carefully.

6. DS2014

DS2014 Active Member

Yes, read it: especially the bit about him starting a new job at RNCM in September. Can you point me to what are the suspicious parts in your opinion?

7. Bbmad

Bbmad Active Member

It all appears very clearly to me.

8. MrBaritone

MrBaritone New Member

Let's get back on topic here. Any ideas of who is going to Cory? I was told Lee Drew of the Tredegar band has been approached as their new solo horn. No idea if there's any truth in that though. And guys, can we please keep this thread clean and stop throwing the 'T' word about? This is a discussion on the current vacancy on Cory, not a boxing match. Thank you

9. tallyman

tallyman Member

Hot off the press Owen for Grimethorpe #massivefavour.

10. tallyman

tallyman Member

Harper may just leave it as an empty seat like he's done with the solo euph seat, flugel seat and solo Eb bass seat ect, or he may use his other favourite tactic of panic signing lesser players.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Cory
    Owen
    Cory changes
    boot
    money
  12. MrBaritone

MrBaritone New Member

I'm not sure that I follow. Simon Howell is the solo bass, Richard Davies is the flug and the man with the funny shoulders (always forget his name) is on euph. To my knowledge with the exception of Owen's seat, there are no empty seats in the band.
    And when has Mr Harper ever signed a lesser player to that band?

13. tallyman

tallyman Member

The euph player has been given the shoulder, Richard Davies has'nt been near for months and Simon Howell rocks up as and when.

14. MrBaritone

MrBaritone New Member

Really? When did that happen with the euph? Did he not play at the Europeans?
    That's disgraceful re Simon Howell, a lack of pride in doing the job! It should be run like dyke where you're sacked if you miss too many. What's going on with Richard Davies?
    Doesnt sound very good that they have all these gaps.

15. tallyman

tallyman Member

Glyn Williams played solo euph at the Europeans and Helen Williams played flugel. They have both been sounded out for permanent positions as Cory require a librarian aswell as solo euph.

16. MrBaritone

MrBaritone New Member

Perhaps the librarian job is why Owen has stepped down as solo horn? He can take on the librarian job whilst focusing on his teaching and solo engagements. They'll probably keep him on his retainer too

17. tallyman

tallyman Member

They have to keep him on his retainer he embodies Cory, good technique average noise.

18. nigeb12

nigeb12 Member

Here we go again!

Why do people on here always want to think there is something sinister in banding. Bbmad or whatever, you always fit into this category. Last time it was with Allan Withington now owen. Btw just had a conversation with Owen.... did you?

19. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Several posts have been removed due to unnecessary stirring and name-calling.

Please keep on topic, and beware undue speculation and unfounded allegations.

Regarding Richard Davies, he currently has severe back problems which have prevented him from playing, and indeed stopped him from doing very much at all.

20. Bbmad

Bbmad Active Member

I will take my right to reply:
    No, I have had no conversation with with Owen Farr.
    The Allan Withington thing, sorry, you have lost me a bit there.
    Back on topic, I think I stated earlier in this thread that I could see clearly what has happened here, I am sorry that I didn't elaborate. But I will now; as far as I can see, the situation is very clear, Owen Farr has moved on from Cory due to both professional and personal commitments.
    So really that is it? Isn't it?
    Obviously, this has become a talking point on this forum, due to Mr Farr's decision to go to 4Bars Rest to announce this decision. He is a top player and clearly considers himself high profile and important enough to expose his professional decisions to the brass band media. Please don't react with indignation that people wish to discuss this as a topic on a forum such as TMP.

21. Dr Bob

Dr Bob Member

I love threads like this, they always bring a smile to my face :cool:

Martin likes this.
  22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Cory
    Owen
    Cory changes
    boot
    money