Cornets on ebay

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by FrenchyCornet, Mar 27, 2009.

1. FrenchyCornet

FrenchyCornet New Member

Hi !
    I'm going to buy a used cornet on ebay uk but don't knwo what's best for my £100 budget.
    Actually I'd like to get a Boosey and HAwakes or a Besson, old if possible but in quite a good condition. The thing is, sometimes I see 2 similar cornet (for me) but one has got loads of bids and the other one doesn't... so what makes the difference ? Is thare an important point I'm not aware of ?
    Thanks in advance for your help.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Boosey
    Besson
    HAwakes
    ebay uk
    used cornet
  3. FrenchyCornet

FrenchyCornet New Member

4. FrenchyCornet

FrenchyCornet New Member

It's me again (sorry)
    I know I could look insistent but I'm on the way to buy this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CORNET-by-BOOSEY-HAWKES-Bfl-A1-QUALITY-SLVR-CASE_W0QQitemZ220384300242QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_MusicalInstr_Brass_RL?hash=item220384300242&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1688%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318 and I'd like to get in the coming minutes your opinion about it . Does it look to you as a good cornet ?
    Cheers (I promise that after this auction I won't be that insistent anymore :) )

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  5. Tam O Shanter

Tam O Shanter Member

Hi Frenchy.

If it were me, I would avoid buying an old instrument like that. It is an old Besson Westminster. I had one of those at school (a long time ago). It's an OK instrument, but in my opinion you would get a better instrument by looking at a more modern Yamaha which you should get for about £100 if you're lucky.

There are a few Yamaha YCR 2330 cornets for sale on ebay at the moment, and they could be worth a look.

I hope this helps.

6. chrisjohnston

chrisjohnston Member

7. FrenchyCornet

FrenchyCornet New Member

thanks to both of you.
    Simon, I'll have a look to Yamaha and Chris, unfortunately, even if you have inexpensive instrumens it's still a bit too much for me ;)

8. David Mann

David Mann Member

For this budget, maybe a bit more, I'd look for an Imperial or New Standard. Old but well built. I bought a New Standard sop and even at 30 years old it outplayed a newish Yamaha. Cost me £150.

9. FrenchyCornet

FrenchyCornet New Member

Thanks all of you for your advices. I finally bought a Besson 600 :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I don't know if I've done well but at least I'm happy and looking forward to play it. I'm back in the brass :)

10. Aurora771

Aurora771 Member

Wow, that was quick. I've been debating and weighing up different brands of instruments for ages now. Maybe I should become a cornet player ;)

Anyway, glad you got the instrument you wanted :)

11. Tam O Shanter

Tam O Shanter Member

Well done - that looks like a nice cornet.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Boosey
    Besson
    HAwakes
    ebay uk
    used cornet
  13. Tam O Shanter

Tam O Shanter Member

I think it is a good choice. It's a perfectly reasonable instrument.

14. FrenchyCornet

FrenchyCornet New Member

I hope and think so. :)
    Anyway I feel good today

15. FrenchyCornet

FrenchyCornet New Member

I receive it today, very nice.
    I'm really happy to get back to brass playing

16. Tam O Shanter

Tam O Shanter Member

I hope you enjoy it.

17. FrenchyCornet