Cornets on ebay

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by FrenchyCornet, Mar 27, 2009.

1. FrenchyCornet

FrenchyCornet New Member

Hi !
    I'm going to buy a used cornet on ebay uk but don't knwo what's best for my £100 budget.
    Actually I'd like to get a Boosey and HAwakes or a Besson, old if possible but in quite a good condition. The thing is, sometimes I see 2 similar cornet (for me) but one has got loads of bids and the other one doesn't... so what makes the difference ? Is thare an important point I'm not aware of ?
    Thanks in advance for your help.

2. FrenchyCornet

FrenchyCornet New Member

3. FrenchyCornet

FrenchyCornet New Member

It's me again (sorry)
    I know I could look insistent but I'm on the way to buy this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CORNET-by-BOOSEY-HAWKES-Bfl-A1-QUALITY-SLVR-CASE_W0QQitemZ220384300242QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_MusicalInstr_Brass_RL?hash=item220384300242&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1688%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318 and I'd like to get in the coming minutes your opinion about it . Does it look to you as a good cornet ?
    Cheers (I promise that after this auction I won't be that insistent anymore :) )

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  4. Tam O Shanter

Tam O Shanter Member

Hi Frenchy.

If it were me, I would avoid buying an old instrument like that. It is an old Besson Westminster. I had one of those at school (a long time ago). It's an OK instrument, but in my opinion you would get a better instrument by looking at a more modern Yamaha which you should get for about £100 if you're lucky.

There are a few Yamaha YCR 2330 cornets for sale on ebay at the moment, and they could be worth a look.

I hope this helps.

5. chrisjohnston

chrisjohnston Member

6. FrenchyCornet

FrenchyCornet New Member

thanks to both of you.
    Simon, I'll have a look to Yamaha and Chris, unfortunately, even if you have inexpensive instrumens it's still a bit too much for me ;)

7. David Mann

David Mann Member

For this budget, maybe a bit more, I'd look for an Imperial or New Standard. Old but well built. I bought a New Standard sop and even at 30 years old it outplayed a newish Yamaha. Cost me £150.

8. FrenchyCornet

FrenchyCornet New Member

Thanks all of you for your advices. I finally bought a Besson 600 :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I don't know if I've done well but at least I'm happy and looking forward to play it. I'm back in the brass :)

9. Aurora771

Aurora771 Member

Wow, that was quick. I've been debating and weighing up different brands of instruments for ages now. Maybe I should become a cornet player ;)

Anyway, glad you got the instrument you wanted :)

10. Tam O Shanter

Tam O Shanter Member

Well done - that looks like a nice cornet.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Boosey
    Besson
    HAwakes
    ebay uk
    used cornet
  12. Tam O Shanter

Tam O Shanter Member

I think it is a good choice. It's a perfectly reasonable instrument.

13. FrenchyCornet

FrenchyCornet New Member

I hope and think so. :)
    Anyway I feel good today

14. FrenchyCornet

FrenchyCornet New Member

I receive it today, very nice.
    I'm really happy to get back to brass playing

15. Tam O Shanter

Tam O Shanter Member

I hope you enjoy it.

16. FrenchyCornet