Cornets: Main tuning slide triggers

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Despot, Apr 12, 2008.

1. Despot

Despot Member

Hi Guys,

I notice the Prestige and York Eminance cornets have tuning slide triggers. Are these a real advantage? Is this the way of the future, or just a nice gimmick?

2. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

I've tried the Prestige with the main tuning slide trigger and I can't help thinking
    that if cornet is so far out of tune that it needs adjustment on the main
    tuning slide then it has a major flaw... can't see it as other than a gimmick, really.

Of course, it makes for great fun when the MD is trying to tune the cornets or
    if you have a gliss marked on your part ;)

3. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

It does make me wonder as to why one should be fitted. I recently bought the sovereign which of course doesn't have one, and more to the point doesn't need one. It is superb for tuning throughout its range, the only need for any trigger use is low "C" sharp, even the infamous low "D" is near enough to lip in without using a trigger.
  4. jackocorn

jackocorn Member

Great plan - let's put a trigger on the main slide - that way we can get ALL of the notes out of tune not just low Ds and C#s!

Believe me - I've witnessed it.
  5. sudcornet

sudcornet Member

I've played a prestige for about 6 years now and I must admit the main slide trigger does have it's uses.

I've played it predominantly as a top section back row player and have found it useful to correct the odd intonation problem in the lower register.

At full stretch you can use it to re-key some of those tricky lower register semi-quaver passages.

In the upper register I 've found it most useful when that awful phrase "you'll just have to lip it down" comes into play...especially as you tire and get a bit sharp.

I wouldn't want to pay extra to have an instrument with this device, but as its there...I do use it.

The instrument itself has beeen the best I've ever played in my 37+ years. Its very free-blowing, has excellent valves and the biggest sound I've ever achieved. On the negative side the plating is very thin and poorly applied, and I've had to have some of the glued joints on the trigger repaired....which was scary, as the joint gave way just as I was going on stage at Symphony Hall.

Another two pennorth.

6. Mephi

Mephi Member

Must admit that when I played for Dyke and I had to play a Prestige after years on a Courtois, I found myself triggering the tuning slide all the time instead of just the first trigger. Took me a while to get used to but the main prob was that it wasn't a very good mechanism and would stick. So when I mistakenly triggered say a top F as I sometimes did on my other cornet, the slide stuck and I was out of tune on everything else until I realised! Never thought I would be so happy to get back on my Courtois!
  7. sudcornet

sudcornet Member

oh yeah...forgot to say....and (before I had it fixed) used to sometimes
  8. Despot

Despot Member

Yeah, I heard very bad things about the old Prestige cornets, friend bought one and was very disappointed with it. Spent more time back with Besson than him!

Although I hear the french made ones are much better?
  9. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

I tried one of the new ones quite recently. The screw on the main tuning slide trigger had changed design and now has a screw, similar to the one you find on the lyre socket instead. It seemed to work easier but then my only previous use of a Prestige was one of the early ones that wasn't great. May I add, this new also played very well - I would have bought there and then if I had the money.
  10. PSB Tom

PSB Tom Member

I have a Prestige and I think I have only used it once. The spring has still managed to snap a couple of times though!
  11. TinklePipe

TinklePipe New Member

That's your excuse is it? and i thought all the odd notes were mine!

Keep wagging!

Tinkle :biggrin:
  12. I think the main tuning trigger is a brilliant device when it's working. The slide does need attention on a regular basis if things are to move smoothly.
    I have the reverse problem from Mephi. Have just returned to an instrument with the usual 1st and 3rd triggers only and I keep triggering the 1st slide even when not using the 1st valve!
  13. Despot

Despot Member

Well we're about to find out! I've just ordered a few of the new prestige cornets, hopefully they'll work out!

(PS Slightly off topic...I notice Besson just shoved up the price of their instruments...must be doing well!)
  14. I recently tried the new York cornets with and without triggers, and have to say I thought they were the same instrument apart from the main trigger and some enamel on the valve tops. Personally I don't think the trigger is worth an extra £350. It's basically for playing bottom C, and my thinking is that if you're a good enough player to accuartly use a trigger then you probably don't need one, and if you're not that good a player you're probably dngerous with one ;)
  15. But plaing the cornet is usually concerned with section playing. The same note will have a variety of pitches depending where it lies in the chord i.e A 4th line D will need to be sharpened as the tonic of D major but kept flat if the third of Bb major. By keeping the instrument slightly sharp and triggerring regularly you are far more likely to find a good compromise.

Also, unless you are the top man you will find yourself adjusting to the frailties of the players around you. The old reply is to "just lip it up/down" but of course this means that you are not in the centre of the note and will have a thinner tone and be more likely to split it.
  16. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

I personally think it's for lazy people! (no one shoot me please!)

I barely use my other triggers-I'd rather just be able to play intune myself, if that means lipping it down/up, then I will.

Just what works for me!!
  17. leisa

leisa Active Member

I dont know about the Eminance cdornets but I know my prestige was a pain in the ****!!

It took me about twice the time it took everyone else to tune cos the twiddly thing (technical term) kept getting jammed to move the main tuning slide out. I think its easier just to pull it myself!

If your thinking of buying a prestige I really wouldnt recommend one unless they have changed drastically. My first one was taken back because the silver started peeling off after about 2 weeks, my second one had the same problem but after about a year and after about 3 years the bell decided to droop leaving me with a cornet which was NEVER in tune at all causing even more problems. I have recently heard of another person who has had the same problem with her prestige bell drooping as well!!
    I love my Xeno much much more :)
  18. sudcornet

sudcornet Member

19. Just goes to show that brass banders can't agree on anything!
  20. leisa

leisa Active Member

what? :confused:

Are you being rude? :p