Cornet

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by ktdn19091985, Feb 10, 2006.

1. ktdn19091985

ktdn19091985 Account Suspended

I have been advised to start to look for a new cornet. I have had mine for 6 years now and have been told that i have "out grown" it. I am currently playing on a Yamaha YCR2330. I had work done to it for my 18th birthday and i also had it silver-plated, it is still in good condition as i have looked after it. I believe it to be a student model. I am looking round for a decent cornet that i could buy, any ideas. I would be looking to sell this cornet if i find another cornet that i like. ANY ADVICE PLEASE!!!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    work
    mine
    cornet
    condition
    YCR2330
  3. 1alexm

1alexm Member

sovereign cornets seem to be the best

4. Steve

Steve Active Member

try a xeno, have been highly recommended of late

5. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

They are lovely but I am having a few teething problems with the valves.

6. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

What is your budget?
    How easy is it for you to get somewhere that has a large number of brands to try?
    What does everyone else in your band play?

When it comes to buying an instrument, my suggestion is to try a number of them and choose what works for you.

Personally, if I was looking for a cornet at the moment I would want to play the Eclipse alongside trying any other brands - the prototype was an amazing instrument.

7. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Try using the fingers instead of the teeth - you might find it easier that way ;) :D :oops:

8. ktdn1985

ktdn1985 New Member

Everyone has different types of instruments in our band. I have a budget of roughly £500 i was thinking as i am finishing working to do my nursing studying so wont have much money.

9. Steve

Steve Active Member

www.firstbrass.co.uk

Pro-model cornet is £450 new and the reviews are superb. They let you try them for a period first if they can :D

10. ktdn1985

ktdn1985 New Member

Thanks for that Steve. Any more ideas?? Anyone know if anywhere does a fiance option??

11. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

What's that? Buy a cornet, get a fiance for free? ;) :oops:

I think Normans used to do one - I expect most of the big retailers do. You probably just need to shop around.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    work
    mine
    cornet
    condition
    YCR2330
  13. ktdn1985

ktdn1985 New Member

Just wondered if anyone did a FINANCE option, instalment kind of thing

14. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Sorry, you'll get used to people making facetious comments on here! :oops:

As I said, I think all big vendors, (Normans, Trevada, Band Supplies etc) may well do a hire purchase / finance option.

15. ktdn1985

ktdn1985 New Member

I have found 2 cornets that i am interested in. A besson soverign and a besson prestige.
    Which would be the best cornet??

16. HBB

HBB Active Member

You'll have to snap them up quick... or wait until they're manafactured again!

17. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

If you are on a budget you might want to consider the virtuosi cornet I have tried one and they aint that bad for the price other wise get on to normans they will send you a cornet to try for a week and then you can arrange finance for it if you like it I recommend the Yamaha Maestro far superior to the Xeno as it is a new venture and still to prove itself unlike the maestro that has been out for a few years now and is a great cornet altenativley if you have the chance of a prestige get it as they too are far better than the xeno

Before anyone says about YBS swapping thier Prestige cornets for xeno think about it who was the clinician for the xeno and who conducts YBS not suprising

18. Steve

Steve Active Member

I am sure a man with David King's reputation wouldnt put his name to any old tat mart1n, Im also sure he wouldn't compromise his band for the sake of it so he is obviously a believer in this new xeno.

19. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I'm sure that's true, but it could be that what he is looking for from the cornet matches his ideal for the band, but there may be characteristics that would not fit with everyone elses idea of sound, articulation, blend etc.

20. trumpetmike

I am sure the Xeno works for some people, but whether it works for everybody is another matter.

The only way to find out what works for you is to try everything.

I would strongly urge you to try everything you can - Prestige (although as has been mentioned, these are no longer manufactured and there is no certainty about whether they will ever be again), Sovereign (likewise), Xeno, Courtois, Eclipse, Taylor (not conventional in appearance, but it is an amazing sounding cornet), Smith-Watkins, Schilke, Bach and B&S (and I am sure I have left some out).
    If possible, take them on approval, so you can try them out in the context you will be playing in. You may find that the instrument you love on your own, in the music store, is not the greatest for playing within a section.

My personal opinion on all the cornets I have played is that I would be buying an Eclispe or a Taylor at the moment. Which one would depend on how it worked within a section (and whether the new Eclipse cornet works as well in its finished form as it did when it was just a prototype - will be able to report back after this Friday), but I am guessing that the Eclipse would probably win - the prototype was simply beautiful to play (imagine the best tone from the best Sovereign, then combine it with fantastic intonation and better valves than Besson ever contemplated).

21. UncleStreaky

UncleStreaky Member

Taylor cornets are awsome - wonderful sound throughout the range. There is a new release of the Taylor cornet about to hit the market, soon to be available from Broadland Music - www.broadlandmusic.co.uk.

Anyone even remotely thinking of buying a new cornet must try one of these!

22. trumpetmike

Having tried the full range of Eclipse cornets now, it is going to have to be seriously impressive - the Red bell Eclipse is simply in a different league to any other cornet I have played.

Keep your eyes open for Eclipse at contests