Cornet Trio's

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by meandmycornet, Sep 4, 2005.

1. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

Anybody know any cornet trio's that would be good for 6 back row cornet players (doubling up on parts for confidence, and too give us all a chance!!) in a 3rd Section band??

Something thats not to hard, but still a challenge and that sounds really good would be great!!

Fi
    xx

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Section
    Cornet Trio
    Fixx
    row cornet players
    Section band
  3. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Here's a new cornet trio that might interest you . . .

Top Brass

;)

4. Steve

Steve Active Member

Buglers Holiday, may not be 3rd section back row standard but rise to the challenge cos its awesome. And the crowd went wild :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

5. meandmycornet

do you really think the backrow of a 3rd section band could play that?? :tongue: Its AWESOME though LOVE it! I reckon I could play the bottom part with a bit of practice :)

6. madsaz

madsaz Member

trumpets wild.

I think the highest note is a top A with an option not to get so high & it is pretty easy to play.

7. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

I've found something in our Festival Series called Day of Wonders by James Curnow.
    It is based on the tune 'O what a wonderful day' from The Salvation Army tune book and is written in the form of a cornet carillon. The score indicates that it's for all cornets but basically there are 6 Bb cornet parts plus soprano. The highest notes for Bb cornets are Ab and Bb above the stave.

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of a recording of the piece but I have heard it some years ago and it's very similar in style and vein to the famous Cornet Carillon by Ronald Binge.

8. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

... and Carl's post above reminded me of a piece that is not really a trio - but sounds great nonetheless. It's called simply - Cornet Carillon - and features 3 solo cornets playing a simple but effective tune in a carillon effect style. It sounds very nice and is easily managed by 3rd/4th section bands.

9. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

There's also Bright Eyes (not the Mike Batt song....), which a good 3rd section back row should be able to do. Written by Walter Finlayson and arranged for band by (I think) Norman Richardson. www.justmusicuk.com have it. Buglers' might be a step too far, methinks.

10. IYOUNG

IYOUNG Member

Try ''Music to Drive By'' available from MMI music, we use it as a 4th section band

Nigel Hall on here can help you

Ian

Would also suggest ''Sea Breezes'' from Prima Arts but maybe a tad hard for back row

11. meandmycornet

WOW thanks for all the suggestions folks! I've yet to ask my fellow back row peoples but I'm pretty sure they'll come round to the idea! I'm going to dicuss it with my mate bernie :D tomorrow at rehearsal and see what he thinks!

I'm in love with Top Brass! I reckon it'll be quite a challenge but it sounds absolutely fantastic!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Section
    Cornet Trio
    Fixx
    row cornet players
    Section band
  13. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Well the horn section wouldn't thank you for buying it! More boring than a boring thing. Ask DT to find you a piece, he's pretty clued up to what is about. :)

14. LeDragon

LeDragon Active Member

Three Jolly Sailormen

15. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Or.....

if it doesn't have to be a trio per se,just give the solo cornet parts of an easy piece to the back row.

Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines springs to mind.

As does Prince Igor....

16. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

With Christmas coming up how about 'Walking in the Air' from the snowman.
    The front row has 4 solo lines that knit together throughout - all 4 parts are quite easy and don't go too high. Any competent 3rd/4th section back row should manage it without problems - and its a very effective crowd pleaser too.

17. lillylemon

lillylemon New Member

how about mexican hat dance. I paly second cornet and we played this over the summer season and it was really good fun.

18. stopher

stopher Member

Tyrollean trumpets by Dennis Wilby - an absolute cracker. Have the flugel and 3rd and 4th men down doing at their leaving concert this saturday. Have picked it up in 3 or 4 rehearsals. Pretty effective and cheesey if you want that sort of thing! Got the trio yodeling - class!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall Supporting Member

This is a good piece (I'm not just saying that - honest!) as it is a feature for the whole cornet section and isn't too difficult either (Many older members of the band and audience will remember this as Charlie Chester's old Radio 2 theme tune ).

You might also like to try Gerry McColl's Latin Brass - A scorch file of the piece is available on the website (www.mmimusic.co.uk)

20. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Three others from the SA catalog are:

The Veteran's (Ray Steadman-Allen)

The Trumpeters (Kenneth Cook)

The Victors (Bruce Broughton)

21. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

There is also an easy but effective arrangement of "What a friend (we have in Jesus)"

22. Matt Lawson

Matt Lawson Member

12th street rag.

2 players per part.