Cornet solos

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by rebecca, Jan 29, 2006.

1. rebecca

rebecca Member

Can anyone suggest any nice cornet solos that don't sound naff without accompaniment? Also, which websites can I buy these solos from? Cheers Bex

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Bex
    nice cornet solos
    accompaniment
    websites
  3. eckyboy

eckyboy Member

Do you mean without ANY accompaniment ?
    To be honest apart from the Last Post I dont know of any, and I'm not being sarcastic.

4. rebecca

rebecca Member

Yes without accompaniment. I would have to agree about the last post. The thing is we are having a band solo competition but there is no accompaniment so I was just wondering what I could play.

5. I don't know myself because I don't attend them, but I would say your best bet is to ask people who perform at slow melody contests regularly. They're usually unaccompanied so there are obviously pieces out there which work well without an accompaniment.

For All Eternity is the only one that springs to mind. But I have no idea of composer/arranger.

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

7. rebecca

rebecca Member

Cheers for that! don't think i'll be able to play it mind but as you said good practise material! Wishful thinking for me though!

8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- too modest! ;) ... there's tons of material on that site that's great for sight-reading and developing various styles of playing! And all for free!

9. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

What about a variation from the arban? I do solo competitions but to be honest I wouldnt like to do it without accompaniment. A time for peace is nice. What about the Nightingale without the piano bars?

10. rebecca

rebecca Member

Have played A time for peace before but don't have the music and can't seem to get hold of it, any ideas where I could get it?

11. imthemaddude

I have it here complete will piano part ready for my solo com!!!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Bex
    nice cornet solos
    accompaniment
    websites
  13. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Carnival of Venice is alright without accompianment, think that could sound good!

14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- Is the contest in free format with no restrictions or it is fixed, e.g., slow melody???

15. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

Three Improvisations in a Japanese Garden by Philip Wilby has a backing CD.

Phil Lawrence has a book out called Victorian Cornet or Victorian something and that also has a backing CD. It has La Belle Americaine, Che Gelida Manina and some other gems.

Good luck.

16. rebecca

rebecca Member

It isn't a fixed contest, nor is it really high profile but I just thought I'd make the effort for a change.

17. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

It's a tad old hat, but how about the Nightingale?

18. imthemaddude

Just remembered I have David Daws new American Solo album and that came with backing cd. Its my cd of the year - fantastic stuff.

19. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

If its a slow melody contest then i would choose
    Demelza :Kirklees Music.
    Air Varie:Would have to be: La Belle American

20. eckyboy

eckyboy Member

Nice little piece but found all the grace notes a bit tricky.
    On topic-The nightingale is a good number as has been mentioned a few times but to be honest without even a piano most sound empty.

21. Jimmy_2121

Jimmy_2121 Member

Does it have to be specifically written for cornet?
    There's plenty of music written for trumpet which were composed as unaccompanied solo items.
    A personal favourite of mine and something I regularly play on cornet, is Rachmaninov's Vocalise, a really effective flowing melodic work.
    Or if you were really out to impress, something like Malcolm Arnold's fantasy, although I would have thoughy it slightly less suited to cornet!!!

22. tim

tim Member

HBB has just completed a new solo called "The Big Apple" its really good. PM him and he may be able to get you a copy.