Cornet solo

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by imthemaddude, Aug 24, 2004.

1. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

I've just been asked to do my first ever solo with the band, I wasnt allowed when I was on principal and now I've been told I can do one, I don't know what to play. I've got a warm traditional cornet sound but my MD wants someting "fast, modern and rhythmic", unlucky really cos I cant count! I can play most things but the band, which is 4th section, needs to be able to play it too. Any suggestions?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    cornet sound
    Cornet solo
    band
    principal
    MD
  3. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Song and Dance - Philip Sparke is a brilliant solo..
    I would try and get your Md to play to your strengths..so a Solo like Soliliquy - Philip Sparke would be another good choice for a solo.
    Just and Idea..
    ta

4. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

For who's benefit is the solo, yours or your MD's? I agree with Nick. Try and convince your MD to play to your strengths and wait until you feel confident about playing the 'fast, modern and rhythmic' stuff

5. Wilson27

Wilson27 New Member

there's a cornet solo - recently released in a new publication from SP&S, called This is my Story. It is an upbeat, Latin American arrangement of the tune 'Blessed Assurance' - it suits a nice warm cornet sound, and even allows you to demonstrate a little bit of technique during the middle of the solo...for a first solo it may be best to chose something you can play well, without the added worry about getting through it (save that for your next solo !!). It's about 3 - 4 minutes long and audiences seem to like it....
    World of Brass can probably help you out in terms of getting the music. If you want to hear the piece, it is on the David Daws solo CD, I hear the music, accompanied by Enfield citadel band.

6. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

Certainly can, here's the link; http://www.worldofbrass.com/acatalog/sps159sm.html

7. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

I find that really difficult to understand that my dad would actually tell you what to do...if he's said owt it'll have been a suggestion! :?

8. skweeky

skweeky Member

a nice easy solo for a warm traditional sound would be "share my yolk", i heard peter read play it recently and it certainly made my hairs on my neck stand on end.

"My love is like a red red rose" is nice aswel but that reaches a top Bb a few times, that might be no problem to you but i just thought i'd let you know :lol: :wink:

9. Kayleigh

Kayleigh Member

Throughout this Summer Season ive been playing Buster Strikes Back Alan Morrisson. Its a gd piece! It gets the old dears feet tapping! and its quite an easy arrangement for the band. If you want a solo copy for yourself send me a PM.

10. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall Supporting Member

If you like ragtime style solos we have Scott Joplin's "The Strenuous Life" arranged by myself. It's a good piece that's not too difficult but sounds harder than it is. I can send you a pdf file if you are interested.

11. Wonky_Baton

Wonky_Baton Active Member

Lynda I would suggest Serenade in Mambo. Easy band parts and def rythmic. Ray Cole played it for 63 years at the Police band so it cant be that bad. Pride Valley Brass even featured it on their CD and Jim Hayes used to play it quite a bit too. Sorted!!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    cornet sound
    Cornet solo
    band
    principal
    MD