Cornet Selection Assistance

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Glynn, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Glynn

Glynn New Member

I was just wondering if anyone could give me any guidence on the best type of cornet to select for my son who is now working towards his Grade Six Exams with ABRSM. (age 12)

Currently he is playing a Boosey and Hawkes instrument but I feel that this now needs to be replaced with something a bit better. I understand that some instruments come with triggers on both the first and third valve for better tuning etc in the lower / higher register.
    Can anyone expand onthe above for me and make any suggestions.

Regards
    Glynn. :D

2. HBB

HBB Active Member

I suppose it does depend on if he has aspiration of playing at a much higher level. If he does than I would suggest a proffessional model, not just a student one. (Triggers are a godsend for the bottom register).

You could try looking for a second hand (or new if you reallylove you son!) Sovereign.

3. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

I'm a tenor horn player, so you can pretty much ignore anything I say about cornets, but, I also have a 30 year old Sovereign Cornet and if I ever have it in the Bandroom all of the solo cornets try to use it for the rehearsal!! Apparently the 'old' ones sound better. There are a couple of old un's on e bay at the moment.

4. eckyboy

eckyboy Member

Agree with the old Sovereigns but the Yamaha Maestro is a good buy at present and is one of the best arround in my opinion. Dont be tempted by any of the foreign ones from EBAY.

5. Glynn

Glynn New Member

Weril Regium EC9072

I have found this model on good old Ebay (Weril Regium EC9072) and looking at various brass outlets it looks to be around the £400.00 mark new. Does anyone have any comments on this type. I have looked at Soverigns and notice that the one above is classed as comparable.

As for his long term future in banding he has mentioned joining the army as a bandsman but this was following a session with the Parachute Regiment Band at Colchester Garrison last week!!

Again any responses would be really appreaciated.

Regards
    Glynn.

6. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Talk to his teacher. They will be in a better position to help choose than we are, without seeing/hearing your son play.

When my students come to that standard when a new instrument is becoming a necessity (student instruments just are not up to the job of playing at the higher level - Grade 6+) I like to get an idea of what sort of budget they are considering. As has already been said, the professional standard of instrument is what you are most likely looking for. I am assuming that your son is going to be sticking with cornet (some more advanced players transfer to trumpet, others stay with cornets - I AM NOT MAKING THE SUGGESTION THAT HE SHOULD SWAP - please note, this is not for you, but for those people on the forum who might feel that I am trying to convert him away from the true banding pathway), in which case I would try to allow him to play the following:
    Yamaha Maestro
    Besson Sovereign (older ones and newer ones - I have known a couple of people who prefer the new ones)
    Courtois

If budget is not such a constraint (or if your son is serious about both his playing and future musical career), I would also add in to the playlist:
    Besson Prestige
    Yamaha Xeno
    Taylor
    Smith-Watkins
    Eclipse

Please note, this list is by no means definitive and I am of the firm opinion that there is not one instrument (nor mouthpiece) that fits everybody. What works for one person is not what will work for everybody. Just because Roger Webster (to pick a rather good name at random) plays a Prestige, it doesn't mean that the Prestige will make you sound like Roger Webster (if only that were true).
    I have played the Weril you mention and was fairly impressed with it as an "intermediate" level instrument. Not up there with the pro level instruments, but better than the beginner student models.

Of the instruments I listed, I play a Maestro and would play an Eclipse or Taylor if I played cornet more often (they are a cut above any other cornet I have played). But that is my opinion, with me on the end of the instrument. For someone else, the choice will probably be very different.

The reason I said at the beginning to discuss this with your son's teacher is that when you are choosing an instrument, I find it is a very good idea to add a good set of ears into the equation, to listen to the instrument from the business end. The teacher is probably the best one to be used like this - they know the way your son plays and will (hopefully) go into the decision making process without any preconceptions about what he shoudl be playing.
    Be wary of anybody who says "thou shalt play brand x" - they are quite likely to be either ignorant, or involved with the company.