Cornet Repairs - Help please

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by tubafran, Jan 16, 2006.

1. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Killamarsh have a set of Sovereign cornets that were purchased about 8 years ago, we also recently bought a brand new Corton flugel. One of our front row cornet players was trying out said flugel and discovered that the valves were substantial "better" than that of his Sovereign. He then compared his with some of the back row cornets and found that they were also in better nick.

Can anyone recommend an experienced instrument repairer who can look at and sort out the valve problem? Do instruments of this age need servicing on a regular basis or should we start to think about getting new?

Sorry I can't be more specific about the valve problem save to say that they have problems with the faster runs (;) )

2. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

For instrument repairs I would strongly recomend Paul Andrews at Brass Toff in Warrington , great service , prices and speed of service . give Paul a bell or email the workshop.
    I am sure he will be able to help
    www.brasstoff.com
    hope this helps.
    ta

3. impycornet

impycornet Member

Slightly closer is 'Octave Above' in Huddersfield

They have just sorted my cornet out & done an excellent job.

4. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

You could also try Alan Carlin in Notingham who is an experienced brass repairer. He doesn't work through a music shop and is therefore usually cheaper. He also tunes pianos.
    tel 0115 9223801 / mob 07792 705843

5. andreww

andreww Member

I had the same problem on my sovereign, muddy valves! Took it to Glynn Williams at Fred Rhodes over in Oldham and said the valves need a new lining on them, other than that put some hefty springs in them!

www.fredrhodes.com

6. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Just had my valves sorted out with the Baritone, stripped down etc .
    We use the Conductor of Gresley Male Vocie Choir who as taken up instrument services and we always get a good price from him anyway as we do 2 concerts a year with them;)

7. persins

persins Member

If you were down south, I could recommend a guy called Chris House near Newbury but since you're not there's not a great deal of point.

Any others wanting his contact details, let me know!!

8. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

Yep was just gonna recomend Alan!:clap:

9. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Thanks for all the recommendations - I think we will give the local ones a try first and see how they do for us. Had a committee meeting last night and we've agreed to get all the instruments serviced/refurbed during the course of this year.

10. lottie4744

lottie4744 Member

If you try Owen Wedgewood (Smooth and Sop'histicated) on here he's supposed to be good. He's away at the moment but I'm sure he'd get back to you as soon as he got back!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Sovereign
    Corton
    Killamarsh
  12. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Thanks Lauren - I have met Owen, he conducted Killamarsh last September when our previous conductor dropped us in it at short notice. I didn't know he did repair work so thanks for that.

13. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

I can recommend "All Brass and Wind" in Leeds - they do a great job and are sensible with prices.
    Ring Graham or David on (0113) 242 1332
    Graham Benson has been in the repair biz for years.
    (ex Imps Horn player)
    - Wilky

14. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

15. Keith Berdett, (i think that's how you spell it) is fantastic! I don't know what i'd have done without him. He's a retired brass treacher himself and is a very experienced repairer, also very reasonable. He lives in sheffield just up from abbeydale road.

16. Big Gav

Big Gav Member

I strongly agree with you Nick. Paul is the only guy I use for any repairs. Fixed my bass last year and now its better than ever. THE best repairer I've ever used by a fair margin.

Gav

17. squirrel

squirrel Member

I think it's spelt Burdett from what I can remember from my time at Langsett Music Centre.

18. Vibrato

Vibrato New Member

I can give a very enthusiastic recommendation of Owen Wedgwood (TMP's Smooth and Sop'histicated). He did a fantastic job returning my very battered Maestro cornet back to pristine condition again.

He's based in West Yorks. His prices are very reasonable and the work was done on time...

19. Adrian Horn

Adrian Horn Member

You could also try Will Spencer (www.willspencer.org) who many of London's leading orchestral trumpeters go to for repair work.