Cornet player needs band Leeds/Sheffield

Discussion in 'Recruitment Corner' started by grausue, Jun 23, 2011.

1. grausue

grausue Member

My daughter is off to university in September to study Spanish either in Leeds or Sheffield (depends on results). She's a player of a good standard; most recently she's played front row and flugel with a 1st section band. Complete with her own instruments. Any vacancies that you know of?

Sue Grau
  2. kate_the_horn

kate_the_horn New Member

Hi Lindley band in hudds will be after both Flug and cornets from September due to people relocating, etc. If you want to email me at for more details, we've got a few players coming from Leeds
  3. flugtastic

flugtastic Member

Hey Meltham and Meltham Mills (currently 1st Section going into Champ as of next year) are looking for a couple of conet players. She would be more than welcome to come and have a blow with us to see if she likes it :) contact me on for more details :D xxx
  4. Bit-part Bari

Bit-part Bari New Member

Kippax Band (Leeds) are looking for a Repiano Cornet player to complete our cornet section.

We're based 5 mins from J46 of the M1, just 8 miles east of Leeds centre.

Please take a look at our website: for more details.
  5. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

Deepcar band, just on the edge on Sheffield (although most of us live in Sheffield and can arrange lifts) are looking for a new principal cornet player. We are a 4th section band, but have well attended rehearsals, a good bandroom atmosphere and plenty of ambition.

I would hope that in a 4th section principal cornet position she could still be tested and have the chance to push herself through solo parts etc, but may not have the pressures that sometimes comes with higher level banding when she needs to concentrate on important coursework.

We have a few jobs over the summer if you wanted to come along and hear us, and of course you are always welcome to come along to any of our rehearsals for either a listen or a blow.

Please get in touch if you are interested, or for details of our jobs and rehearsals, you can PM me, or call me on 07767808409.

Thanks, and good luck whatever she decides to do.
  6. grausue

grausue Member

Thank you all for your responses. She now has a list as long as her arm of bands to try for. How very exciting! She's going to be a away over the summer, so it may be some time before she gets in contact with you.

Thanks again :clap:

Sue Grau
  7. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

I lived in Leeds a short while last year and would like to recommend Wetherby Band. Just slightly north of Leeds. A wonderful bunch of folk I have to say. Conductor , tmp username is Wonky Baton.
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  8. John_D

John_D Member

Sue, some of our players live in the Sheffield area. Sasha is more than welcome at Markham Main anytime.
  9. winterman

winterman Member

Drighlington Band (Currently Championship, 1st Section in 2012) would give her a warm welcome if she comes to Leeds. We have had an excellent relationship with Leeds University students over the years (our Secretary and Treasurer are both former Leeds students who have stayed on after studies in recent years).

We are based just outside Morley (South Leeds) at BD11 1LQ under the leadership of Musical Director Jim Davies (former principal of Cory's and Brighouse).

Drop me a line for more details if she is interested.
  10. Trombone84

Trombone84 New Member

Yorkshire Band of Royal British Legion are looking for new players. Worth a look, I found ad on here and "PM"ed MD. Sounds really promising.
  11. Ruth Lumb

Ruth Lumb Member

Hi Sue,
    Golcar Brass Band in Huddersfield are looking for a front row cornet player. We are a very friendly, fun but ambitious 4th section band with some excellent players.

Rehearsals Mon 7.30-9.30 pm Golcar Baptist Church, Chapel Lane, GOlcar HD7 4HZ

For more information please contact Ruth on 07583304875 or see our website

Your daughter would be made very welcome

All the best
  12. Frank H

Frank H New Member

Hi Sue, Frickley South Elmsall Band (1st section) are currently looking for either a flugel or front row player, we are a friendly, ambitious young band with a great social side, based in South Elmsall, on the border between west/south yorkshire, which is not too far away from either LEEDS or SHEFFIELD, transport possible and your daughter would be made most welcome. For further information contact me 0n 07712200382 or email on
    Hope to hear from you soon.
    Frank Hoyland