Cornet or Trumpet?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by shezza, May 5, 2011.

1. shezza

shezza New Member

Hi All, For a long time now I have wanted to learn a brass instrument, the sound that I would be after is a mellow christmas carol type sound (as per Salvation army sound)
    Would that be a cornet or trumpet? which would be the easiest to learn.
    Regarding the cornet what is the difference between the Bd that I have seen and the soprano.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Cornet
    Bd
    Salvation army sound
    mellow christmas carol type sound
    long time
  3. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

For a mellow sound - definitely the cornet. The trumpet hass a much more Brilliant Tone. But for real mellowness in that register, Id consider playing Flugel Horn. Although Ive never played one (I cant get high enough) I think that well played it has the most lovely sounding mellow tone.

The difference between Cornet and Soprano is the register. I am a low end section player and have never been able to produce high notes on any instrument in that range (2nd cornet was my limit).

4. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Cornet and trumpet and the same type of instrument, if you learn to play one then you can play the other. Soprano is much higher, generally harder to get a nice sound and is in a different key Eb (like the tenor horn). However, again, if you learn on a cornet/trumpet, you can play one, as the valve combinations are the same. ( As they are for most other brass band instruments.)

5. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Another consideration might be where you intend to play. If you hope to play in a band or orchestra for example, the instrument choice would probably be dictated (eg: you would probably not play a trumpet in a brass band). If that is not an issue then what has been written above is what you need to consider. From your question though, I would suggest that you look at a Bb instrument and forget the Eb Soprano (I'm reading between the lines here since appears to me that you are just starting. If I'm mistaken in that assumption, I apologize).

6. Johncornetflugel

Johncornetflugel New Member

Definately Bb cornet or flugel to get that mellow sound. The soprano is a totally different kettle of fish which I would not recommend for a learner to start on. Try finding a local brass band that has a junior/training band. They can normally provide an instrument and lessons at a very reasonable price.
    Good luck and welcome to the world of brass.

7. CornetJem

CornetJem Member

Maybe the real question is, do you want to be in a brass band or an orchestra? I would say the trumpet and the cornet are of an equal difficulty, and brass bands are the ones you see carolling o:)

8. DRW

DRW New Member

It will be a cornet that you have heard in an SA band.

9. TrumpetTom

TrumpetTom Member

Generally a cornet has a mellower sound, but really, that depends on the instrument, mouthpiece and player used. The cornet has more resisitance than the trumpet. In a brass band, most players play the cornet with a deeper mouthpiece than you would use on a trumpet. This helps to achieve a more mellow sound but makes the higher register tougher and not so clear. Cornets are heard in SA bands and brass bands. Also occasionly in orchestras (march slav - tchaik, carnival romain and symphony fantastique - berlioz) and in jazz. Trumpets are heard in orchestras and jazz ensembles. Military bands use both I think. The soprano cornet is just a fancy name for a cornet in Eb. It is pitched a perfect 4th higher than the Bb cornet and has a more brilliant sound. There is also a trumpet available in Eb, aswell as many other pitches, including C (tone higher), D (major 3rd higher), F (perfect 5th higher), piccolo in A (major 7th higher), piccolo in Bb (octave higher) etc. etc. Most people start on Bb instruments. Trumpets can come with no valves but holes (natural trumpets) or rotary valves (like a french horn) instead of the piston valves (like a cornet). Cornets (well the better ones) come with spring loaded triggers on the 1st and 3rd valve slides, to help with intonation. Trumpets usually have rings which you push in and out (although I've just had a first valve slide spring loaded trigger fitted to mine :p). Which ever you learn ain't really that important if your not totally sure what you want to do with it, transferring from one to the other isn't too much of a problem, although some people here gave me the impression they thought that if you can play cornet you can pick up a trumpet and will be just as good.... not sure it quite works like that but they are so similar it really is not much trouble to transfer.

10. AndrewL

AndrewL Member

I suggest that you find a local brass band that has a training band. They may be able to supply you with an instrument and will help you to develop your playing. You will also find that playning with a band is a lot more fun than trying to learn on your own. Start on Bb cornet and once you have mastered the basics you can start thinking about whether you want to stick with cornet or move to flugelhorn, trumpet or another instrument.