Cornet mpc for Championship level band ?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Mr. Stomvi, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Mr. Stomvi

Mr. Stomvi Member

Being in the States, I was just wondering what type of cornet mouthpieces are found on the solo bench of championship level bands in GB. I'm mostly interested in cup depth. If they are Wicks (or Wick type) - are most people using the "no letter" deep models or the shallower "B" cup models ? It seems that most of the folks over here are using "B" cups in the front row.

Just wondering.

Thanks for your help !!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Wicks
    Cornet mpc
    States
    cup models
    deep models
  3. bannisa

bannisa Member

At Grimethorpe, 3 out of 4 of the front row are using Denis Wick Heritage number 4 mouthpieces

4. jezza23361

jezza23361 Member

I would always go for a Wick 2, 3 or 4 - no B cups. What is the point in playing a large bore cornet and then putting a shallow cup mouthpiece in it.

Jeremy

5. mozart

mozart Member

Cornet mouthpieces

I was recently guesting with Rothwell and I noticed one of your front row cornets ,(also guesting)was playing a Heritage mouthpiece.Did they take much getting used too?

6. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

I'm using a heritage 3B mouthpiece. Front row L&SC.

7. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Interesting.

Two possible responses:

1. "What is the point in playing a large bore cornet?" ... Exactly ...
    2. "What is the point in playing a large bore cornet and then putting a shallow cup mouthpiece in it?" ... Ermm ... Anything for an easy life ... ???

TBH, in recent years I have heard so many modern recordings where I am slightly uncertain as to whether I am listening to a cornet or a flugel, to the extent that I am more and more leaning towards thinking that a return to medium bore instruments with more traditional mouthpiece profiles would help to preserve the "classic" cornet sound. I'm aware that may come across as a bit reactionary, and some people that know me might find it a bit surprising, but I think that sometimes people forget that the "standard" deep DW cornet 'piece cups are not really "traditional". If you compare them to, say a "Rangefinder" (old-style SA design), they are very deep, and in my view, not really the best way to achieve a "classic" cornet sound. (not that I think the DW 'B' cups are any better, either)

So, lots of questions, and no answers ...

... but, as many others have pointed out on this forum in the past, there is no "right" or "wrong" mouthpiece; the "best" mouthpice is whatever works for you.

8. jezza23361

jezza23361 Member

I agree that there is a cornet/flugel crossover but I tend to think that too many flugels sound like cornets. I can't stand thin, reedy cornet sounds and would hate the day of the shallow cup and medium bore cornet to return.

Jeremy

9. John_D

John_D Member

Remember that a cornet is NOT a trumpet, so don't use a trumpet style mouthpiece (awaits instant backlash)

10. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

:clap::clap:

11. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I think I would too; at the same time I don't really like the direction the modern cornet sound seems to be going in. To my mind the problem with large-bore cornets is that there are too many people holding them who have no grasp of the breathing techniques required to fill them properly. Need to find something in the middle ...

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Wicks
    Cornet mpc
    States
    cup models
    deep models
  13. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Medium bore cornets with deep mouthpieces?

14. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

I agree 100% :clap:

15. TrumpetTom

TrumpetTom Member

I use a yamaha 16e. Took me a while to get used to it becuase of the way I play but now it's awsome! Before I used a denis wick heritage 3. I now find I can play more in tune, the high register's easier, I can play louder, the attacks better (flatish rim) and it's the right width for me. Obviously this varies from player to player but I know other people aswell as myself who feel range and endurance is good on this mouthpiece. But as other people have said, alot of it is down to personal preference, but the 16e fits the bill - easyish range and nice tone so is worth a try.