Cornet Mouthpieces

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by sparkling_quavers, Mar 20, 2003.

1. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

I am currently using a DW3. I played on a Bach pee shooter for ages but then had to change my I got a new cornet due to tuning problems. I also moved onto backrow for the last 3/4 years and thus decided to use something a bit deeper. I have now been demoted back to frontrow and still using the DW3. I can get a really nice tone but high notes are a killer! I tried moving back to something a bit shallower but I sounded like a strangled duck!! :shock: Anyone got any suggestions?

2. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

HAVE YOU SEEN THE POST ON SPARX MOUTHPIECES?

Keppler: Duplicate Post Deleted

3. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Have you tried the Lewington McCann mouthpiece? I've had the same dilemma: the Bach doesn't blend well enough and the Wicks are hard work, especially for me as I no longer play regularly. LMc mouthpiece is very comfortable, projects well and even I can make a nice sound sometimes...

D

4. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

As a follow up to Super_Sop... the mentioned posts on Sparx mouthpieces can be found here

5. sparkling_quavers

Do you know where i could get hold of one?

6. Straightmute

Band Supplies in Leeds had them not so long ago.

D

7. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Rach, when I play - this is the MouthPiece I use... very, very comfortable indeed. Quite deep for a front-row mouthpiece though but once you're used to it you won't change.

... not so good for use as a Baton though...!! :roll:

John

8. Valvecap

Valvecap Member

Have played for 3 years on a DW4 (not the dreaded 4B) and worked well for me - but i agree with StraightMute - they are hard work for front row...
    Would only change to a LMc if i could rebore the neck - really comfortable on the chops, nice tone, but you cant get enough air through the things - i mean... usually i can strip paint off walls... with the LMc, the wall laughs at me.... :(

9. James McFadyen

James McFadyen New Member

I would suggest Jet Tone mouthpieces! I used a shallow Trumpet Mouthpiece from Jet Tone, and top F's and G's (way aboce the stave) were achieveable without fatique!!

10. Straightmute

Maybe, but you won't get through the bandroom door with one!

D

11. James McFadyen

James McFadyen New Member

Why would that be then, apart from the obvious?

12. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

I actually use the dreaded 4B....always have, but I'd quite like to try the Sparx or LMc one.....

At risk of drifting off topic or getting a nice moderator to start a new thread....what does everyone reckon the best flugel mouthpiece is? I've always used the 2FL DW one but any other suggestions would be gratefully received!

Rach x

13. sparkling_quavers

exactly! thanks for the suggestion though

14. sudcornet

sudcornet Member

If you're comfortable with the DW3, why noy try a slight move smaller to the DW4? I've played the DW4W (Wide rim 'cos of my kissable lips, hahha) for a few years now and have no trouble from bottom F# to E'ish above top C and I've always played a large bore cornet (Sov 928 and Prestige) I think it's more a case of what you get used to. I think correct breathing is probably more important in a lot of ways than choice of instrument c/w m'piece. I once got told I had a good sound on one of those K&H peashooters (Sorry Tim) so it can't always be the tools!
    Nigel.

15. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

I started out on cornet, and tried a few mouthpieces, including the Lewington McCann, but I think that the best I found was the DW4, DW3 gave me a better tone, but no range, although soon after I ended up on bass trom, and did significantly better, maybe I'm just not a cornet player eh?

16. Boneman

Boneman Member

Neiltwist - Quite a change from Cornet to Bass Trombone! (although I do have to say this a a big step in the right direction) - I presume you did not play Bass trombone on a DW 3?

17. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

It's amazing how high you can get!, although I think my lower range suffered a bit!

18. craigyboy1

craigyboy1 Member

Why is the 4B dreaded?
    What am I missing?

19. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

it's good for a learner, but after that most players move on to either a bigger or smaller one. Anyway, I've only ever heard one person get a good sound out of a 4B: David Geogeghan

20. Phil Green

Phil Green Supporting Member

Strange that, I've heard loads, especially back row players. The depth, unless I misunderstood the explanation from on of the finest backrow players in banding, means that second and third cornet players can create an incredibly big sound whilst maintaining a decent range.

Neil, you need to listen to more bands.