Cornet Mouthpieces

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by mozart, Feb 16, 2010.

1. mozart

mozart Member

I realise its a "longshot" but does anyone know if the Yamaha 14E mouthpiece has the same internal dimensions as the Lewington McCann(ie cup depth.rim width etc) Both mouthpieces look identical on the exterior.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    14E
    Cornet Mouthpieces
    Yamaha
    Lewington McCann
    width
  3. b-flatcharlie

b-flatcharlie Member

From your question I’m not sure what kind of knowledge you have of mouthpieces but I suspect you are looking for something very specific for one type of playing. Do you play back-row, repiano or solo cornet in a brass band?

This might not be what you want to hear though and I apologize if the information below is zero use to yourself personally and you can choose to ignore it if you prefer.:confused:

The Lewington McCann model that you specify I have no knowledge of. In some ways it depends on what ultimately you personally want from any mouthpiece.

If you like an orchestral trumpet style tone in your playing, the Vincent Bach long shank cornet mouthpiece range is a good choice.

What style of tone do you prefer?

For example the 1st Bb soloist in a brass band will commonly chose a mouthpiece they prefer for their own tone along with their instrument I suspect. A tutti Bb player might choose an appropriate mouthpiece to increase their sound volume and range. Repiano Cornet player may choose similar as an accompanying instrument.

From your question I’m unaware about what cornet position you play or band section and this would be useful. I stick with one mouthpiece for every cornet playing position apart from Eb Soprano because at present I play both as the main soloist in one band and a solo tutti (bumper up) in another.

Supposing you actually play in UK brass bands the more common mouthpiece as you might be aware is the Dennis Wick range. If I personally were to play on a Vincent Bach cornet mouthpiece, I realize my tone wouldn’t be popular with my MD – at least by the look on their face. I always play on a Wick for this reason and also because these mouthpieces seem to have the favoured tone – at least in UK brass bands.

For me a Wick 2 coupled with a Bb sovereign cornet has always been ideal because it’s also great for back row and repiano when I occasionally dep in another band.

However I think what anyone else would say is; if you don’t manage to find out the internal dimensions for the specific Lewington McCann mouthpiece in question, then it might be an idea to always use the mouthpiece that is the most positive in terms of what it delivers for you personally in unrivaled and ultimate respects. :)

Charlie.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  4. jackocorn

jackocorn Member

5. _si

_si Member

could i just ask (i am about to buy my first cornet mouthpiece), I have read up on the threads here and it seems that the DW2 is the best mouthpiece for sound quality, but what is the difference between a 2, a 2b a 2w etc, i have never played cornet so i dont know.

6. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

2w is a 2 with a wide rim. 2b has a smaller bore than a plain 2.

7. John_D

John_D Member

The Denis Wick cornet mouthpieces with a 'B' (4B, 3B, 2B) are shallower than those with no letter (4, 3, 2).

I use a DW 2 when playing on back row. It does give a huge sound but does take a strong embouchure. Less experienced players would probably find a DW4 a better all round alternative.

I did try a Lewington McCann mouthpiece but found the rim uncomfortable.

My advice would be to try a few and use the one that suits you best.

8. mozart

mozart Member

Thankyou very much for your reply.I currently play on a Lewington McCann but find that the sound it produces is slightly more strident than the Wick mouthpieces because the cup is just a bit shallower. I have tried the Wicks but find that the rims are a bit uncomfortable.A soft mellow sound is very important to me as I play the solo parts and I just wondered if the Yamaha 14E had a deeper cup than the McCann.I dont find that range is a problem with a deeper cup but the sound is much sweeter which is all important.

9. John_D

John_D Member

I've heard good things about the Denis Wick Heritage series. May be worth a try.

10. mozart

mozart Member

11. wilky

wilky Member

mouthpieces

Mozart, I had the same problem as you, didnt like the wick rim and thought the lewington was too shallow. Went to Mick Rath a number of years ago and he put a Lewington rim on a Wick 4 which solved the problem!!!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    14E
    Cornet Mouthpieces
    Yamaha
    Lewington McCann
    width
  13. mozart

mozart Member

Why didnt I think of that?? Thankyou. Ill contact Mike,hes made special items for me before.