Cornet Mouthpieces

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by ericthered, Jul 24, 2008.

1. ericthered

ericthered Member

Hi

I currently play on a DW RW4 and sometimes find it too small. Can anyone recommend a similar but larger mouthpiece that has the same or similar sound?

What about Stork? :(

2. cornydevil

cornydevil Member

I used to play on an Dennis Wick RW3 which has a slightly larger cup diameter than a four ( but not as large as the number 2). I found it ideal for front row work.

3. GeordieSop

GeordieSop Member

Until recently i found that a RW3 was perfect for me. Great full sound, easy intonation tho unless in good practice the upper register can be tough at times.

Now that i've been made principle this just doesn't work for me so i've moved onto a DW4. still has a good rich sound and intonation is still good.

4. wilearl

wilearl Member

I play on a RW3B to play higher stuff but changed to a RW3 for the area as it gave a deeper sound.

5. DaveBarker

DaveBarker New Member

I played on a Wick 4 for many years and changed to the RW4 in 2002. I often found it a bit restrictive and, following some advice from a great teacher and former Dyke solo cornet player, I tried the RW3. It was hell and after 3 months I reverted back to the RW4. But the old problems (mainly a lack of flexibility) were still there and, try what I may, I couldn't get past them.

About 4 weeks ago I decided to give the RW3 another try and, to my amazement, things seemed to work better this time around. The upper register was still a little anaemic and in need of a bit more effort, but it was a huge improvement on last year's attempt.

Then I decided to invest in an Alliance 2 (analogous to the Wick RW3). It arrived just over a week ago and I absolutely love it. The sound is better, the notes are more centred, the upper register is easier and the flexibility is better than any other mouthpiece I've ever tried.

I know it's all a case of 'horses for courses' but, if you can get hold of one, you might be pretty impressed with the results.

All the best and happy hunting! :biggrin:

6. Jerry

Jerry Member

Out of interest: in what way does the RW range differ from standard Wick pieces? Cup, rim, etc?

I used to play a 4B (sound too thin and harsh), changed to 4.5 (lovely sound, pretty good for Rep seat but no good for Principal - upper register too strenuous), and now play a Sparx #4 (sound still excellent, lovely and mellow, but much better grip for upper register, centred sound throughout the range).

I have also played a Bach 7A for a very limited period of time; it just does not produce the mellow cornet sound required, sounds more like a trumpet, with me on the end anyway!