Cornet mouthpieces

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Alan Fernie, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Alan Fernie

Alan Fernie Member

I've been afforded some "budget" at some of the little primary schools I teach at, and I'm keen to get some decent mouthpieces to enhance the standard, but useful at this level, instruments that we have (Elkharts/Blessings/Student Yamahas etc.). The Trombones and Baritones will be getting Wick 6BS's, just as their teacher plays!, but I do need advice with the Cornet (and, indeed, Horn) side of things.

When I taught at a High School in Edinburgh, which had a long established tradition jazz/pop/soul kind of bands - I just couldn't get any interest in a brass band at all!! - all the trumpets all had Bach One and a Half C's, and that was excellent. Is there a cornet equivalent?, and if not, can any cornet players recommend something similar?

Thanks in advance!

2. floppymute

floppymute Member

You can pretty much get cornet matches for any size Bach trumpet mouthpiece. I have a matched pair Bach 1. Trouble is you might have to go online and order from a supplier in the states to get them

3. imho, forget all the "student mouthpieces"... it's stunning how fast the kids adapt to the larger (=normal) editions.

I'd strongly recommend the Yamaha 14C. Easy to blow, good range. Or try the Denis Wick 4B, also quite a good choice (but not as suitable for kids as the Yamaha...)

4. craigyboy1

craigyboy1 Member

Alan,
    I've pm'd a link to a comparison chart which might help.Wasn't sure about posting links on here ?
    Everyone I know started out on cornet with a Wick 4B. A good all round mouthpiece. Some are still using them.

5. SAbandman

SAbandman New Member

If you ask your front row tonight, assuming the row is full, you'll find that the first 3 play on DW 4Bs and 4th plays on a DW RW3B. The 4B seems to be a popular choice.

6. davidaus

davidaus New Member

mouthpeices

I use a Denis Wick RW3 ... almost everyone seems to start with a Denis Wick 4B. The 4B makes the top register easier when you start out but does produce a bright tone. I have also tried a 4 but that was a little deep for me given i also play sop. The RW3 seemed a nice compromise and produces a nice full tone.

7. sudcornet

sudcornet Member

Please, please, please avoid the DW#B....The bright, in some cases laser bright, sounds are making my ears bleed as a conductor. Give a student, who also plays trumpet, a cornet with a 4B and the sounds are almost indistiguishable.

The RW3 produces a good round sound and is still helpful for the upper register. Better still, if these are beginners, get 'em started with a DW2. The fullest, richest sound (so easy in the lower register) and still capable (with work) of hitting the high notes.

Just my two pennorth.

Sud.

8. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

:clap: Definitely give 'em a lower DW - 2,3, or 4. I had a 4B for a while and while it made it easier to switch from cornet to trumpet, it made my sound too bright for the section I was in.

9. Mercedes

Mercedes Member

10. sudcornet

sudcornet Member

Roddy isn't having the above problem twice a week (and rising in March)!!

I stick with the above...give kids a chance of a big round sound from day one.
    Beginners will appreciate the ease in the low register. Improvers will find it second nature if taught on a larger mouthpiece.....and the naturally talented.....huge, round, quality sounds with a sweet upper register.

three pennorth.

Sud

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Cornet
    Wick 6BS
    Student Yamahas
    High School
    Trombones
  12. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

Yes, it's a Bach One and a Half C! I use one for everything, Cornet, Sop, Trumpet, Flugel...not your traditional brass band cornet mouthpiece but for me, it's perfect. It's quite big, but I was always told to use as big as I could manage. Our principal cornet uses a Bach 1c (slightly bigger than 1 1/2) which tires me out to much on sop, lots of what I do is very high so I use the smaller of the 2

13. Alan Fernie

Alan Fernie Member

Thanks for taking the trouble everyone, most appreciated! Looks like I'll try the Wick 4B!

14. JamesResurgam

JamesResurgam Member

Hi Alan,

Suggest you go to mouthpieceexpress.com and have a look at the Stork cornet mouthpieces 3B 4B 5B for primary children.

Dafydd ap Iago

15. sudcornet

sudcornet Member

Don't know why I bother.

16. impycornet

impycornet Member

You tried your best....:clap: :clap:

For what it's worth i also advise avoiding the 4b !

17. Hornblower RN

Hornblower RN Member

Don't worry mate...I totally agree with you...use a Wick 4 (As used by Salvation Army cornet player) for cornet and 2F on flugel. Yamaha 16c4GP for trumpet though;)

18. BigD

BigD Member

Just stumbled on this thread. Wick 4b for me! Also like (and play on a lot) the Kelly mouthpieces. The crystal ones make the kids keep them clean as well! By the way, who's giving you all the money?!

19. james80g

james80g New Member

I agree go for DW 4, personally I play on a 3 now but was on a 4, the 4b gives such a thin and narrow sound the bigger the better, I was always told to play on the biggest mouthpiece possible; you can always practice to get your register but its more difficult to get the tone right.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  20. Despot

Despot Member

4B! Besson 7 is actually not too bad either, and cheaper, but hard to get these days.

I know some are arguing the use of larger and deeper mouthpieces because of tone, but for primary school kids? Good, bog standard general purpose mouthpieces are probably more appropriate in that situation. I'm sure Mum and Dad won't be too outraged by the lesser tonal qualities of the "The Little F & G March" at next year's Christmas Concert! :)

21. flugelboy

flugelboy Member

DW mouthpieces are good mouthpieces.something like a 4 or a 4b are good ones for them to use

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Cornet
    Wick 6BS
    Student Yamahas
    High School
    Trombones