Cornet Mouthpieces - Bach & Other American Brands

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Despot, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Despot

Despot Member

I'm heading for the USA, and especially with the weak dollar, I'm thinking of bringing home a selection of cornet mouthpieces for the band to sample. We use mainly Denis Wick, but thought it might be interesting to see what else is out there.

Can anyone suggest some typical sizes and brands that might be worth trying?

(Euph & Trom myself - so I have no idea!)
  2. GordonH

GordonH Member

On cornet I use either a Monette 1-5 deep V shaped cup or a Curry 1VC which is a bit like the Denis Wick cup shape but with a Bach type rim on it.
    Curry is well worth looking at.
    They make very consistent mouthpieces that do not cost a lot of money.

Buying from the US by post has got a lot more expensive since the post office increased their handling charges.
    One option is to buy from who have cheaper prices and because they are int he EU the VAT and duty is all covered in the headline price.
  3. mclaugh

mclaugh Member

Monette mpcs are ridiculously expensive ($300 from brick-n-mortar retailers, $215 from online retailers). Not sure it's worth dropping that kind of cash on a mouthpiece just to give it a blow, especially when Kanstul sells CNC-machined clones at half the price. (And despite what Monette suckers ... make that "owners" ... claim, I'll bet that 99% wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a clone and the real thing in a double blind test.)

I've got no beef with good, old-fashioned capitalism, so if Dave cen get people to pay those prices, more power to him. Where I DO have a problem is when some jacka** brags about how much better he plays now that he has an expensive Monette mouthpiece, when in fact he sounded like a moose in heat before and sounds like a louder moose in heat with the Monette.
  4. GordonH

GordonH Member

I had a Kanstul copy of my Monette mouthpiece and it was quite different in feel and response to the original.

I use Monette mouthpieces mainly because I have one of his trumpets and the mouthpieces were made to match it and my own personal pitch centre which is a little bit low on the note.
    Whether they are worth the money is another thing entirely but they are worth it for the level of consistency they bring to my playing across all the instruments I have to play on.
  5. imho, if you use your cornet to play dixie stuff, they're all fabulous. But I haven't found a single american cornet mouthpiece that's suitable to brass playing...
  6. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

You could try Warburton or perhaps Stork.

I played on a Warburton for years and have heard good reports from everyone that uses them - while not exactly common there are a number of brass banders who use them - especially the screw-together jobbies if they play trumpet as well as cornet.

I bought a Stork mouthpiece the other year on a whim and after a short trial on someone elses. After waiting an age for it to come I have to say I didn't really get on with it - but this doesn't mean to say they're no good.
  7. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

But they are trumpet mouthpieces anyway aren't they?
  8. mclaugh

mclaugh Member

Monette makes cornets and cornet mpcs in addition to trumpets and trumpet mpcs. The cornet mpcs just not as widely available as the trumpet mpcs since the vast majority of folks on this side of the Atlantic play trumpet.

GordonH, I understand playing the mpc that's designed for the horn, and the mpc that works best for the player. I don't doubt that it's the best mpc for some people, and as I said, I don't have a problem with Dave charging what he does for his mpcs. Where I DO have a problem is when some no-talent jerkoff with more money than brains (I play with a few), buys a Monette because that's what (insert big-name player) uses and then goes around acting like s/he's hot stuff because s/he uses a Monette.
  9. GordonH

GordonH Member

That has always been a self fulfilling prophecy because british music shops only stock american mouthpieces that have trumpet cups on them. Its weird but true, even Bach make V shaped mouthpieces but you will never see them for sale here.

My Monette and Curry are both V shaped, the Monette more so than any of the Wick mouthpieces.

One thing about the Monettes is they have very wide throats so they tend not to suit large bore cornets (unles the gap has been adjusted to suit).
    I tend to play the Curry a lot because my cornet has a much freer blow than a normal one.
  10. tootnbuzz

tootnbuzz Member

I have been very happy with my Warburton 4 BC Cornet mouthpiece with a 10* Cornet Backbore. They are more expensive than a Wick or a Curry. I also play the Curry 1.5 VC. It is also a good mouthpiece. I have played on a Wick 4 but for me the rim was uncomfortable. I mainly use the Warburton because the rim is more comfortable for me.
  11. Despot

Despot Member

Very true! Every so often someone walks through the bandroom door with a Vincent Bach 7C which "some guy in a shop" swore blind was fantastic. Or lately, Kelly 7C's! Trumpet mouthpiece chopped to fit a cornet - not allowed!
  12. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Schilke also have a recently introduced range of V-cup cornet mouthpieces. There are two types; the "Symphony" range are very expensive, but there is also a newer range referred to as the "Concert" cornet mouthpiece, which is less expensive. I've not had an opportunity to try them myself, so I can't comment either way, but Schilke do claim that the 'pieces are designed with the "British Brass Band Style" cornet player in mind.

I believe you can try them at Phil Parker in London.
  13. DanB

DanB Member

Pete Collins has been working with GR Mouthpieces in the States who are fairly well known for trumpet mouthpieces. They're now bringing out a range of cornet mouthpieces specifically for the UK market called UK Sterling. They've designed different types / sizes specifically for soloist / front row / back row and I think possible flugel and sop too. Might be worth a look... More details at
  14. GordonH

GordonH Member

The rim thing with Denis Wick has always been the big bugbear. The rims are designed for endurance, but if you have to double on trumpet they are rather difficult to get used to.
    However, if you contact Kanstul they can make a copy of the DW mouthpiece with a rim of your choice on it.
    Denis Wick also has a mouthpiece with a 1c type rim on it now which sounds like a very good idea.
    I need to do some recordings of me playing on the Curry and out them on my youtube page, it sounds just like a DW mouthpiece because it is basically the same inside.

For Eb cornet how about a medium V shaped cup like a Bach 5MV? Its surprising how well some of these can work.

I also noticed that Yamaha have got a bigger series of cornet mouthpieces now and they look quite good.

I do like Wick mouthpieces in general though. They are well made and reasonably priced and the designs make logical sense for the people they were designed for. Also, you can get hold of them easily to try them out.

I think the cornet throats are a bit wide for some of the modern large bore instruments though and the sound can lose focus.

I am just rambling now....
  15. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

Do the players in your band want new mouthpieces???
  16. Despot

Despot Member

We have over 40 cornet players in the organisation of varying abilities and ages. I feel it would be useful to have range of samples from other manufacturers to help those for whom a Denis Wick mightn't be the best option.

Also, just out of interest to see what's out there, you'll never know unless you look!
  17. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Of course you won't be buying mouthpieces in the US and selling them over here, because that would be a bit naughty. No, of course you wouldn't.......;)
  18. RussQ

RussQ Member

Theres a few brands worth having a look. As usual it's down to personal preference.
    Schilke, Vincent Bach are the well known makes. There is another brand called [SIZE=-1] marcinciewicz. I used to play on a trumpet one and not sure if they make a cornet range, but if they do they'll be well worth looking at.
  19. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

Both myself and our principal cornet use bach mouthpieces for Cornet. I use a bach 1.5c for everything, as I've mentioned in other threads and our PC uses a 1c...Never heard anyone criticize how we sound...